Are there reasons for not using wire protectors?

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Brenda_md wrote
on Oct 26, 2013 7:30 AM

When I make my necklaces and bracelets that are strung on stringing wire, I always use wire protectors before attaching clasps or chain sections in the jewelry piece for added wear protection of the stringing wire.  I have recently noticed in the beading magazines; e.g., Bead Style, that so many of the necklaces and bracelets featured do not use wire protectors.  I would appreciate your thoughts or comments on this practice or pros/cons for using or not using wire protectors.  Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Oct 26, 2013 12:25 PM

I use them in all my projects. Not only does it protect the stringing material, it also looks more professional. I prefer the look rather than just seeing the beading material go though the clasp. I say beading material, because I not only use them when I am doing a stringing project, I also use them when doing an off loomed piece. However that said it is totally up to you, in this case there is not right or wrong, just a personal preference. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Brenda_md wrote
on Oct 26, 2013 1:13 PM

I agree with you Sue that it also looks more professional.  That is why I was surprised to see how much they are not being used in the designs presented in the beading magazines.  I began to wonder that if, say in cases where a strung beaded necklace has chain inserted in the middle of the beads in its front center, designers thought it was not aesthetically pleasing to have wire protectors.  Regardless, I have always felt jewelry made without the wire protectors is of lesser quality due to greater wear and tear on the stringing wire.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 249
beadinstyle wrote
on Oct 28, 2013 4:44 PM

Yes, I like them too, but it's a personal preference thing. And sometimes, adding the extra loop of wire is just too much metal, or if the necklace is a chunky one, it might look  a little spindly at the clasp? They are neat little things, tho, aren't they?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Nov 9, 2013 1:29 AM

I love the wire protectors. I use them on my 'brick stitch earrings" and everywhere. I feel they give a more tailored or Proffessional appearance.

Well the last two sets of earrings, necklace and bracelet sets I sold, I re-did the necklace and Bracelet as the buyer couldn't have anything but "real gold" touch her skin.(she supplied the gold post for the earrings(whew!)

(I restring for free, in case of metal allergies.)

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS