Choosing a beading loom

This post has 54 Replies | 7 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 588
debbiela wrote
on Jul 29, 2014 5:45 AM

I am still sick but had to step in and comment.  I knew you looked at only the negative about the loom I purchased.  You need to go back and read again Erin.  Yes, I am a novice but as stated in my blog post on MY BLOG, that I was posting MY EXPERIENCE with this particular loom - which has nothing to do with being a novice !  It has to do with what I experienced using this loom.  Once again, pros and cons Erin, pros and cons.  I would bet money you are same with every loom you've ever tried EXCEPT the one YOU designed.   I do have a question:  Did you ever actually use the loom I blogged about ?   And please do explain why your loom design is superior to all others.  I really do want to know.

ETA:  I needed to add this edit and delete part of this statement.

Now, where's the popcorn..........................

Not Ranked
Posts 3
cookie1030 wrote
on Jul 29, 2014 5:07 PM

Hi Erin,  I sent you another email about the loom.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 31
Kendall.L wrote
on Jul 30, 2014 8:45 PM

I also emailed Erin awhile ago but never heard back, and that's fine everybody gets busy these days and I completely understand. I went ahead and got a loom that I thought would work for me, and so far I really like it. I would still like to know what the "perfect loom for beginners" is but while I'm on here I'll go ahead and talk about the loom I got for others who find this page like I did.

I got the Deluxe Adjustable Loom from Crazy Crow. It's only about 3 inches wide which obviously will limit bigger designs, but I'm more interested in doing headbands, hatbands, belts, necklaces, ear rings, and western tack. Even though I haven't created all of those things yet I haven't needed more than the 3 inches wide so far. And later if I do need something wider then I can look into getting a different/wider loom or something. But starting out this has been a really good loom. Its built well, at a reasonable price, and I love love love the adjustable factor! You're able to waste so much less when doing smaller pieces, and are able to create really long pieces if you want to.  

Everyone is going to have their own personal preferences, but I really like this loom for the things I want to make. :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 933
on Jul 31, 2014 6:28 PM

Kendel, you are so very very right. There is a loom for everyone. What I suggest is how you prefer to weave on a loom, 'sitting at a table', leaning it on a table, or on your lap in a comfy chair. Other then that, I do believe every loom works and offers the same outcome, if shown some fine points. To continue, consider your budget, matching the loom table to your weaving and warp tension controls. That is about it. This means, if any thing else would be needed, it would come from the lack of knowing how to use the loom. I am sorry I did not reply. If you could see my email box, on a daily basis, especially due to my FB Page "Beads Beading Beaded", my Blog, website and now teaching this art of weaving beads, you may understand. I have been in communication with Cookie, [waving]

Debbie, I do own this loom, in every size they offer. I own every loom on the market. I even direct an evening out, every November called "Loominosity Night". There, I share every loom, on tables, and discuss each ones features. Since I am NOT in the loom selling business, I am able to be a bit more frank. When the night nears a close, I pull out the computer, sharing all of the available bead pattern programs available, free or purchased, giving points and direction. It has been a very successful venue and preceded my choice of teaching, over two years ago. There seems to be names on the list, for this November, already. Let me also say, yes, I do offer a particular loom to my students. I designed it to be all they need, beginner or advanced. These are only made to satisfy the student count, for each class, which taps out at 30 a month. If I ever have any left over, meaning if any regular students are not interested, then I have them for sale. Other than this, I will not create a loom selling business.

What I found very interesting, in your blog post, was your desire to rebuild a loom, that you are not using to it's full potential. Leaning it, removing warp bars, hard tying off warps, etc. . would not be noticed, otherwise. Thus is why I mentioned how much you would be better served in a class for instruction. You will be able to use that loom, for many many things...cuffs, amulets, cell phone bags and wall hangings, to name a few, but I also think the looms, designed like this, limit the creative potential available on a different loom. There should only be three looms needed, in your bead studio. This eliminates a need for an adjustable loom, which are never as stable as they can be. Even owning the three, can be less expensive than owning one, of some adjustable models, on the market.

What hits me crazy is how people that design, build and sell looms, have no experience with them. Those who design and create bead pattern programs, have never wove beads, on a loom, to an expressive extent. So here I sit, experience without a manufacturing company...and love it that way! :D (hated bringing up the bead pattern programs....another education needed for so many. (many of my patterns are shown on my FB Page, created for my classes only)

Again, enjoy that loom. More use, will increase your creative ideas and will open up your thoughts on the loom's attributes. I will give it to you, one way....you selected a better loom than many on the market.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 933
on Jul 31, 2014 6:48 PM

Kendel, I continued thinking, after I walked away from this post. If you mostly weave hat bands and belts, or such long things, consider attaching a belt loom to an art easel, or your own loom. I have some attached that way, and sold many to some students, as there are others who like to weave such things. Again, and I know you don't believe me, :D , but send me an email....writing BEADING DAILY in the subject line. I can share a video of the ones I had made, showing how they work and what to make and give you the info on the easel you can purchase elsewhere. I can't share a video here.

Attached to an easel, you can move the loom up and down, work any angle and turn it, if needed to add length on a particular end. I am aware such long loom are hard to lean, having to weave on the floor or with out stretched arms. An easel would be perfect for you.

OK, onto finishing up my latest cuff..... :D

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 31
Kendall.L wrote
on Aug 6, 2014 1:25 AM

Ok Erin I sent you an email. Lets see if it works this time lol

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 31
Kendall.L wrote
on Aug 6, 2014 1:26 AM

Ok Erin I sent you an email. Lets see if it works this time lol

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 933
on Aug 7, 2014 1:14 AM

I haven't noticed an email from you!!!!! I'm on my IPad, right now, so maybe they are going to my junk mail? Would your email have your name in it? Maybe i should message you, here.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 31
Kendall.L wrote
on Aug 7, 2014 1:52 AM

my email does have my name in it but maybe it didn't go thru?? I'm sure I sent it but maybe if you message me, you can just say hi its Erin or something and ill forward you the message :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 933
on Aug 8, 2014 3:51 PM

I got it and replied :D Talk to you again soon!

Page 4 of 4 (55 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 | RSS