Choosing a beading loom

This post has 54 Replies | 7 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 936
on Apr 8, 2014 10:42 PM

I want to thank every one who has contacted me. I receive many emails and half are asking about a good bead loom, so no shortage in my desire to reply!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 592
debbiela wrote
on Apr 23, 2014 6:36 PM

Hi Erin - I just sent you an email about that loom.  :) 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 936
on Apr 27, 2014 4:29 PM

Thanks Deb! I will need to double check. I get tons of emails, mostly questions about weaving on the loom, so let me go sift through to find your email, right away!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 592
debbiela wrote
on Apr 28, 2014 7:43 PM

Erin, if you can't find my emails, you can contact me thru my blog or etsy shop.  The links are just below in my siggie line. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 31
Kendall.L wrote
on May 2, 2014 9:22 PM

I sent you an email as well Erin if you cant find it my email is  I was just asking about the loom and your thread preference.

edit note:      e-mail address was removed by Moderator to protect this member from unwanted spam.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,296
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on May 5, 2014 5:30 PM

Kendell anyone that posts their e-mail address here is setting themselves up for loads of spam. We have spammers here that will link you up with more spam than you care to receive. Any member that wants to get a hold of you through your e-mail can do that without knowing your e-mail address. They will only know your address if you wish to reply to them. So for that reason I have deleted your address from your post. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 31
Kendall.L wrote
on May 5, 2014 11:01 PM

Oh ok thanks I didn't even think about that, and I usually do! Thanks for looking out for me!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 592
debbiela wrote
on Jul 7, 2014 6:43 PM

Well, since I never heard back from Erin, I decided to just do some comparison shopping on my own.  I decided on this loom  http://www.beadlooms.com/8x10.html  I read about it somewhere but can't remember where.  lol !  Anyway, it ships tomorrow so hopefully will have it by end of the week.  It looks like it would be perfect for a beginner like me.  Sits tall so my fingers and hand will fit under the threads easily, this particular one is wide enough for what I want to do, has the little bead cups in the bottom to hold beads, does not have springs to warp threads but rather notches in the steel bars, will work beads from size 8/0 up to 12/0 (I asked about the 8's), the price was right.  I think I will have my handy husband add a couple pieces of wood to the back so it will stand taller. 

If you read my blog, you'll see I tried it again with the flat cheapie loom and once again, I had to take the work apart.  The threads became loose, the rows were uneven, etc etc.  UGH.  I am keeping my fingers crossed the new one will meet all my needs - for now.  lol ! 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,522
D.M.Z wrote
on Jul 7, 2014 8:24 PM

That has always looked like a most well built commercial loom to me. Angled, plenty of room for hands underneath. AND you just cannot beat the price at all.........that much wood and looks finished, it is either an import or a labor of love. Anyway, it looks very good for that price, did you get the sale price of $40??? Donna

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 592
debbiela wrote
on Jul 8, 2014 5:48 AM

I believe they are made by the folks that own that website.  Not 100% sure cause I didn't ask.  :) 

Yes, I got the sale price.  Usually with the sale price on their looms, you get a few supplies with it like beads, thread and a needle.  I don't need those but for some reason they didn't include them this time. 

I've also decided to order a Mirrix.  I have a huge order in at Fire Mountain and they carry them.  What's good about FM, if I don't like it, I can send it back no problem. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,522
D.M.Z wrote
on Jul 8, 2014 3:49 PM

I just sold my Mirrix............hubby just hated the look of it, every time he saw it he'd go off on a rant about hardware stores. But that is him. He made most of my looms and I love them, but they are specialized for my uses. I WOULD like a smaller Mirrix, one of the ones that could be carried around like to bead society meetings, the one I had was just too much, I'm not into 100,000 bead pictures..........

I'd love to hear a follow up when you get that wood loom........ maybe the sale price is the reason you didn't get the extras with it. Dunno, but the price for just the loom is way good. Donna

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 592
debbiela wrote
on Jul 9, 2014 5:19 AM

Oh I'm not complaining about the price at all.  :)   With our without the little extra's, it's a great price I think.  That was a part of why I bought it.  Plus it does look well made for the purpose.  I just tracked it and it's out for delivery today so I am anxious.  lol ! 

When I get an expensive tool of any kind to use with my crafting, usually a tool for making glass beads, my husband just shakes his head.  lol !  Sometimes he'll say oh that can be built cheaper so of course I'll give him the opportunity.  lol !   

I have decided to pass on the Mirrix afterall.  If I don't like using a loom, at least I won't have invested a ton of money with the one I have coming already.    

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 936
on Jul 15, 2014 3:48 PM

I am just getting around to see this post again. I didn't notice any email from you, sorry, I get TONS.

The choice you made, on the wooden loom seems the best I would suggest, on the market today. I have them custom made, for my classes, but these are the next best thing, in my honest opinion.

Can't wait to hear more from you....if it doesn't get lost in my emails :D

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 592
debbiela wrote
on Jul 15, 2014 4:45 PM

Hi Erin.  I'm sure you get tons of emails.  lol !  It's no problem.  I just did the research and figured out what would probably be best for me.  This loom seems to be the one.  I'm going to write up a blog post on the loom and what I've learned so far next time I post.  Probably this weekend.  Anyway, I looked at your blog and saw the loom the ladies were using in your class and compared it to the one I bought.  Very similar but I have to say, I like the way mine is higher on one end.   So if you get a chance, come on over to my blog say in about a week and take a look.  I'll explain it all there - with details and lots of photo's !  :)  The link is in my siggie line below.  And please, leave a comment.  :) 

No emails Erin.  I'm guessing you'll never see one.  lol ! 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 936
on Jul 15, 2014 8:23 PM

LOL, I promise to go look, next week. Thanks for the invite.

You have to know, though, the loom I use in my classes are custom made to my specifications. There is a reason they are NOT higher on one side...but I guess you would have to take one of my classes to find out why :D Who knows, with your continued work at weaving beads on a loom, you may figure it out yourself one day!

I look forward to reading your travels.

Page 2 of 4 (55 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS