Which type of thread for this project?

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 13
MeaganK wrote
on Aug 26, 2013 9:21 AM

Hi, I'm still a very new beader-I've only finished about 4 projects,so far. I'm about to start on a layered necklace for my mother. I was thinking of just simple strings of colored seed beads together in gradating lengths and then have the same number twisted together to go around the neck. I just bought some Fireline thread,and I'm using it for a pair of earrings-brick stitch with fringe, and am using it for the first time. Ladies on there commented on how wonderful Fireline is and how wonderfully it drapes. My fringe on my earrings aren't draping any better than they did when I was using a regular clear nylon thread,though my brick stitch looks much better. I'm wondering if I bought the wrong kind of Fireline (I have only found one kind of it where I live-which is Denmark)? Could it be too thick?  Should I buy Nymo? Or another brand all together?Or order a thinner Fireline from Amazon? I wanted to find out about this before I started on this project for my mother. Since it will be a gift,I want it to be as perfect as possible (which is also why I'm not messing with a stitch and opting for a simple layered beaded string-look). I don't want to waste any Fireline as it is incredibly expensive here-more than $20 for 50 yards. It says it's 8 lbs/3.6 kg, and is crystal color. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Aug 26, 2013 11:23 AM

It is cheaper to buy Fireline from the fishing and camping shop, as you get a bigger reel, 125yd.

6lbs or 3.3kg Fireline is what most people use.

For me, it also depends on what I can find or what's left over, at the fishing and camping shops near my place. I've used Fireline 6lbs and upwards to 14lbs. I rarely buy fishing line from beading shops as it is too expensive and you get such a small spool.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
MeaganK wrote
on Aug 26, 2013 12:10 PM

But I live in Denmark and we don't readily have those kinds of stores around. What my question actually was- is Fireline going to be a good thread for me to use for the project i want to start? Will it allow the strings of beads to hang well enough? I'm asking because the earring project I just started,with fringe, the fringe doesn't seem to be hanging as fluidly as I had hoped, and as much as it had been described by other people on here. It's important that the strands hang well. I didn't know if Fireline would be best for this or if I should try another type of thread? When I'm in the US, I can worry about finding cheap Fireline. Otherwise, I can get it on Amazon for now,that I'm not concerned with. I'm just concerned that this thread will be good enough for what I want.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,360
D.M.Z wrote
on Aug 26, 2013 1:00 PM

MeaganK, Your Fireline 8# is pretty stiff and as you found, a bit much for fringe. I love to make my fringes out of Nymo D. With Nymo, you reel off the length you need, then stretch it gently end to end. As you pull on it you will feel the give. You need to stretch it beforehand. On longer fringes it could stretch afters and you will have a small gap at the top..... not pretty. Your idea of the necklace for you mother sounds cool. If I am reading your post right, you want a core of seed beads, multiple lengths, then additional lengths of each twisted around the core length. I'd be truly tempted to do the initial core lengths in a wire like Soft Flex for stability. The strands of seeds that will be twisted around those can be Nymo D, stretched as they won't be holding the total weight of the necklace. Personally, I'd attach each "bundle" of seeds on Nymo to their respective wire base and then connect all the wires to finalize the necklace as they are much stronger. Depending on how many wires at the end will determine how much of a bead cap you will need. Either a purchased cap or one you make out of brick which means you can customize the size and length........

If my idea of what you are constructing is not right, that may not be the best solution. But for what I envisioned as your idea from your original post, that is how I'd tackle it. Donna

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS