This'll keep me busy!

This post has 38 Replies | 1 Follower rated by 1 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
Keith L wrote
on Jan 15, 2009 6:56 AM

Hi folks - just thought I'd share my 'mishap' with you all - might give you a laugh!

I've just got myself a Sigrid Wynne-Evans pattern for a peyote tapestry - it's called Ruby and is an Art Nouveau/Mucha style (it's item 11781 on BeadPatterns.com). Having started the design - and having bought 118,000 Delicas in 49 colours, I realised that the dimensions of the pattern were in INCHES (12.5 by 30) and not in centimetres .... and here's me thinking I was going to be making a small picture!

Might get it finished by Christmas (2011) Tongue Tied

Keith

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,237
popnicute wrote
on Jan 15, 2009 8:11 AM

holy crap! good luck!! xD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jan 15, 2009 8:35 AM

Keith L:

Having started the design - and having bought 118,000 Delicas in 49 colours, I realised that the dimensions of the pattern were in INCHES (12.5 by 30) and not in centimetres .... and here's me thinking I was going to be making a small picture!

Might get it finished by Christmas (2011) Tongue Tied

Dude, that's either great or terrible! I'm not sure on which way to go here. *laughz* Ah the beauty of the US being the ONLY country inthe world that does NOT use the metric system. Ain't that a witch with a capital "B". *grinz*

I think that I may have 20-25 colors in my entire stash of ALL of my beads excluding shells. I can't even imagine working on a single piece inthat many colors. I wish you well my friend! I hope that you have good eyes or a decent pair of magnifier lenses to do all that. I think that I would go blind doing that.

Good luck dude and keep us informed of the progress. I really wanna see the finished article. It sounds sweet.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jan 15, 2009 9:45 AM

I am so sorry! But at least there will always be a project ready for you to work on right? 

( I must admit that it made me smile! So thank you for bringing a smile today! ) 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Jan 15, 2009 9:49 AM

Keith L, thanks for the warning -- I'll have to watch for that.

BTW, even the [conservative] Brits, who started our pesent system, were able to 'go metric'.  Sure, it'd be messy for a while, but "Rome wasn't built in a day".

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 502
Editor
on Jan 15, 2009 10:10 AM

Well, here's something that might make you feel better.  I have been working late in the evening trying to get some projects finished to submit to one of our magazines.  This morning while I was writing up the instructions I realized that I strung this beautiful lampworked bead upside down.  It has an ocean wave design and I somehow reversed the direction so the sky was on the bottom and the ocean is on top.  I can't believe I did that.  I must have been more tired than I thought!  Smile

Needless to say, it looks like I'll be redoing tonight!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,750
Kokopelli wrote
on Jan 15, 2009 10:16 AM

Holy.........! No, I can't say that or I will be banned from the forums. Devil

Size 11 or size 15 delicas??? Wink

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
Keith L wrote
on Jan 15, 2009 10:26 AM

Thankfully, it's 11s, not 15 Delicas! It has 904 rows of stitches - 53 completed, only 851 to go, lol

Trouble is, I'm back at work tomorrow, so will have to put it aside for a week Sad

Glad to have raised a smile for everyone! Big Smile

Keith

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,114
Sherri S. wrote
on Jan 15, 2009 10:44 AM

That really made me smile!  You will still be proud of this project once it is finished!

Off topic, I have to ask - is that YOU swimming next to that shark in your avatar?  Yikes!

Sherri S.

Check out my Etsy Store......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6321824

Check out my Etsy Beads Store.......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7141344

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Jan 15, 2009 12:24 PM

Dagmar:

Why not??  Robin used to say "Holy Moley, Batman!"

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Jan 15, 2009 12:31 PM

WOW!!!  It's an amazing and ambitious piece.  I love it and if I could do peyote, I'd make the attempt myself.  Did you notice the Amethyst and Emerald pieces to complete the set?

Good luck!  And I agree, when you have it done, please post a picture.

Dawn

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,750
Kokopelli wrote
on Jan 15, 2009 12:35 PM

Stan B.:

Dagmar:

Why not??  Robin used to say "Holy Moley, Batman!"

Stan B.

Yes, Holy Moley was the word I was thinking about! Thank you, Stan! (If I had a pic of me as my avatar, I would have asked, if I look like Robin.) Wink

Keith, one good thing about it. I find size 11 delicas tiny. I don't even want to think about working with size 15 delicas. But to be serious: you're gonna be proud of this piece when finished.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,114
Sherri S. wrote
on Jan 15, 2009 1:42 PM

Dagmar:
I don't even want to think about working with size 15 delicas.

Dagmar,

Its a good thing I read this.  I was considering splitting my size 15 delicas between you and Jeni.  Now I know to send them all to Jeni!

Sherri S.

Check out my Etsy Store......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6321824

Check out my Etsy Beads Store.......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7141344

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 15, 2009 2:21 PM

Wow Keith, you wife is going to get jealous with you spending so much time with "Ruby". You will either love or loathe "Ruby" by the time you finish with her.

Good luck!!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 1 of 3 (39 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS