ear cuff patterns anyone?

This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 8
JessicaK@20 wrote
on Jan 12, 2009 1:25 PM

okay, i now these have like never been in style but i looooove them! i have a huge collection and i thought it would be so cool to wear some i made. there are a designers on etsy who have some incredible ones, in fact i  just bought two from Sunnny Skies Studios. they are beautiful but require welding or soldering i think. i was hoping for something more along the lines of wire working or even bead stitching. any websites or patterns would be great. thanks everyone!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 929
on Jan 12, 2009 2:21 PM

I agree, there are some gorgeous pieces on Etsy. I know them as 'ear vines', so I searched on Etsy for them and found these : http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_type=tag_title&search_query=earvines

You probably already saw these, but I am trying to help!!

Erin

Not Ranked
Posts 8
JessicaK@20 wrote
on Jan 13, 2009 2:31 PM

thanks Erin. yeah, i've heard earvines, body cuffs, the list goes on... i don't think iv'e thought of searching earvines, i'll check out the link. thanks again!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Jan 14, 2009 2:24 AM

I found this free ear cuff pattern on the wigjig homepage:

http://www.wigjig.com/jewelry-tools/WJU/jewelry/earringsrings/cuffed/

It's very easy and versatile, but maybe not what you search for.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Livewire wrote
on Jan 14, 2009 4:40 AM

More patterns from wigjig:

http://www.wigjig.com/jewelry-making/loops/pg15.htm

Not Ranked
Posts 8
JessicaK@20 wrote
on Jan 14, 2009 11:15 AM

thanks livewire and dagmar. i've been looking for an excuse to use my jig again! dagmar, those designs are lovley, i don't think i've ever seen a cuff that swoops over the earlobe like that, they look simple enough to try. the designs livewire sent are great as well. thanks for your help!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Livewire wrote
on Jan 14, 2009 1:26 PM

Oh, I found another one:

http://wire-sculpture.com/store/pages/jewelrypattern141.html

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,235
popnicute wrote
on Jan 15, 2009 5:55 AM

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=17498104 this one looks easy enough to do!

i think a 6 cm mandrel would do. you need to find out the circumference of a 6cm mandrell, then set up your jig at that length (x cm), take 20-18 ga wire, make a coil, place it in the middle of the two jigs, make a figure 8, and end it with another coil. i try to illustrate it a bit.

after you're done, shape it into a circle using that 6 cm mandrel. :)

i'm sure after you master a simple cuff, ideas would come. as for soldering substitution, you can use thin wire (28-26 ga) to tie up the area that supposedly soldered. dead soft would work best i'd think.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Cirra wrote
on Mar 24, 2009 6:34 PM

Bah!!  I make earcuffs! But I'm new to this and I have no idea how to explain it. I just bend wire. I had one on my Etsy site but it sold and I havent posted another. Ummm...  I can give it a shot. I use 24 gauge wire. About an 8 inch piece. Bend it in half, this will make your cuff. About an inch down from center, bend each side back up, it should look like a "W". I add beads here. On each side I put a cap,bead,cap. 4mm works well. Then you are going to bend the wire back down, tight against the beads. Then spiral the remaining wire up towards the beads. I then bend the cuff part around my pinky, so it actually looks like a cuff. I dangle beads off the spirals and add chain long enough to connect an earring to it. It's quite pretty. I will get my hubby to post one sometime this week on my etsy page. southernsparklies.com

I hope I explained it well enough for you to make it. Good Luck. It's really quite simple to do.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Kathy Bloom wrote
on Jun 28, 2012 12:15 PM

My grandaughter loves them too.  I found some tutorials on YouTube.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,142
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jun 28, 2012 11:22 PM

I recently "Googled" !.Wing backs( a 1940's style of Ear Cuff.1.  Ear Cuff There is a ton of Free tutorials.  A friend, uses a yellow #2 pencil to shape the wire. to bend the wire.

Play around with different Gauge fo wire.   I will have to make one and post a Picture of my Favorite.

Good Luck!

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,142
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jun 28, 2012 11:27 PM

Wow! you have some beautiful Pieces of Jewelry on your web site. I love your Ear Cuffs! Good tutorial too.

Thanks,

Gyspy Mary

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 244
beadinstyle wrote
on Jun 30, 2012 2:40 AM

Its probably no different from others you have found, but I liked some on Etsy by AmeliaLune. She has tutorials Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,142
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 1, 2012 8:38 PM

Thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten about Amelialune Ear Cuff Tutorial. It is easy to follow too.

Gyspy Mary

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS