T-drilled or 3 hole beads

This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Jul 20, 2013 11:29 AM

Looking for  6 or 8mm beads with 3 holes drilled in a T shape....or 3 of 4 "sides" drilled.    Any such creatures out there?   Do not want a bead that is T shaped  (too big for my  purposes)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,539
D.M.Z wrote
on Jul 20, 2013 1:10 PM

Windy, the only "use" I have seen with this configuration is the end of a stretchy bead bracelet. The ones I saw most were cat's eye beads. That may be of no use to you, but it might give a source or a correct name for them. Dunno. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Jul 20, 2013 1:51 PM

where did you see those?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 258
KathyK1999 wrote
on Jul 20, 2013 2:03 PM

Are these what you're looking for (have to take out the spaces)?

http://www .firemountaingems. com / itemdetails / H208322NB

Kathy

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Jul 20, 2013 3:48 PM

right idea, but too big and odd shaped

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,539
D.M.Z wrote
on Jul 20, 2013 8:01 PM

Windy, those were like what I was thinking of, but I have seen them a bit smaller and round, and my thought was that it was on FMG or some larger crafty site like that. Maybe Michaels or Hobby Lobby or one like that.......or Oriental Trading has some odd beads, it may have been there. Sorry I am not much help, typically I buy those bracelets premade from FMG because they come in quantities like 6 or 8 bracelets in different colors for almost zero money. Then I just yank them apart when I am ready to make something and need a dozen or so beads of a certain color. Sorry. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Jul 20, 2013 9:05 PM

well that's a sneaky approach  :)     Why do  stretch bracelets need them?   I wanted to onnect wire perpendicular  to another piece of wire without showing jump rings or headpins, etc.     I tried Michaels down here (up here?) with no luck and haven't seen anything on FM.  I guess the hunt continues.  Maybe I'll try  to expand the  filagree on a filagree bead.....

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,539
D.M.Z wrote
on Jul 20, 2013 9:47 PM

Windy, I get sneaky because I work mostly with delicas, so when I need the "odd bead" I learned to look for things like that............also because I am overly addicted to cat's eye beads in almost any color they come in. (who knows, but I am enchanted with them). The other thing is FMG sells bulk items like 10 strands of cube beads in different colors and sizes......the strands are all 16" so a large variety and quantity for the price. They do the same things with stone chips and freshwater pearls. I am stocked for my occasional needs. The T-drilled beads are a fast way to connect the ends of the bead bracelets. They just run the elastic through the T bead and out the bottom and do an overhand knot and voila! a bracelet. Must be the fastest/cheapest way to do them. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Jul 25, 2013 8:07 AM

those are great.  Are the holes   at the bottom of the bead?  Are there other colors?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 49
on Jul 25, 2013 8:35 AM

Those are the only ones I've come across, one hole runs the regular way through the bead and one runs in to meet the main hole so it is like a T with the bar longer than the leg.  I think these were designed for the elastic type bracelets.

Laurie

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 258
beadinstyle wrote
on Jul 26, 2013 4:50 AM

I have repaired bracelets with these beads often. Sometimes they are just fun bracelets, but often they are buddhist mala bracelets, prayer bracelets, with 21 beads. I haven't googled them to check details. I repaired one last week, an amber mala bracelet that had been blessed by the Dalai Lama. Nervous I was, didn't want to drop and lose a bead, lol

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Jul 26, 2013 1:30 PM

I wonder why they are so hard to find!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 258
beadinstyle wrote
on Jul 28, 2013 9:31 PM

I have heard them called baluster beads, but I think if you googled "guru" beads for mala bracelets you might find some. Let us know!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Cats4jewels wrote
on Aug 9, 2013 12:33 AM

Fire Mountain has them with the corresponding guru bead. They're all 10mm though. Shopping - Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS