Can I use different-sized seeds on a beading loom?

This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Jul 6, 2013 11:43 AM

I've been trying to figure out a way.  I'm using 8/0 and then I'm sticking in 11/0 to smooth out curves.  I'm sort of left with the concept of having two needles going at the same time.  But I don't know.  I haven't given up, yet!

Does anyone have a way to do this?  Thanks much!  shawn

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,465
D.M.Z wrote
on Jul 6, 2013 12:50 PM

Shawn, if  your 11's are half the size of your 8's you can do two 11's between the warps meant for your 8's. Different manufacturers make seed beads in various sizes and if you look at enough beads you will probably find some that will work. I did one loomed project where I had to add and remove beads to form the curve that looked right...........it was a nightmare and still had stair stepping at the end. But that was to me sitting right in front of the loom and a fairly short distance to the finished picture. When it was framed and sent off to the purchaser, she never noticed the stair stepping because she was looking at it from more of a distance.......and the illusion of the heart behind the portrait was clear and her brain read it as perfect. You are overthinking two needles, they are not necessary if you have the right size beads, you'd just load up your row of beads with both sizes and just fit the two 11's into the space between the warps where one 8 would normally go. Come back across the row and make sure you pick up both of the 11's on your return. DMZ

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Jul 6, 2013 2:07 PM

Hi there, DMZ.  Thanks  for your response!  As usual I'm over-thinking, or not thinking.  But I did a rough layout to try and demonstrate my problem.  Running the "lock-in" thread for the 8/0 and 11/0 is no problem and I can get the first row working great.  It's when I want to insert a second tier of 11/0 in the same row is where I can't figure.  This occurs throughout the layout.  Thanks, DMZ.  You're ACES!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,465
D.M.Z wrote
on Jul 6, 2013 2:38 PM

Shawn, that second row is easily done, but it will tend to pop upwards. Do you need this to be very flat? If so, I'd do that second row in 15's so they won't distort the next row of 8's. This is hard for me to conceptualize without seeing how those areas will occur in the overall pattern. If that color change is important to sit flat and be subtle  you may need to go to 15's or if the 11's will be staggered and not occur in stacks above the same space two rows of 11's may work depending on how much they will distort the following rows. Is that clear as mud? Sometimes I understand what I am writing and sometimes I look back and wonder how anyone could understand it.

OK, here is the "fix" for the second row and I have used this method for adding a layer on top of my original bead work, as a 3D effect or I have also used it as a fix for a bead that breaks long after the whole piece is done. Again, hard for me to give you specifics without knowing how big or small or the placement.............. but............ The easiest thing to do is to square stitch that second row of 11's (or 15's) to the first row of them. In that way you don't have to run any extra thread through the whole row and end up with 4 strands through all the 8's. 8's can take the 4 strands, but if the overall piece is large it is a lot of extra thread. Or, you can start an independent thread about 4 beads to the left in the 8's, go to the gap and add  the 4 - 11's (or 15's) under the warp and go on to the right another 4 beads, circle around the warp thread and go back through making sure you capture the 4 - 11's on top of the warp thread, then go on back through the remaining 4 - 8's and tie that thread off to it's beginning making sure you aren't putting too much tension or too little on it, needs to match the rest of the whole piece. I have a tendency to not make permanent knots until I am done with the whole weaving because in the past as sure as I have done permanent knots........I have to remove a row or two and find them knotted in.............. I usually do a simple knot without pulling it tight and glueing or burning it. Mud or clarity, depends on you.....LOL. DMZ

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Jul 7, 2013 9:04 AM

This is GREAT, DMZ!!  I knew the experts had a way.  You gave three plausible solutions and I'll try them to see what happens.  I have a feeling I'll have to go to 15/0, but that's okay.  Just another excuse to shop and buy beads, eh?  This is one big learning experience.  A Big Thank You to You.  You're the Kitten's Mittens.  shawn

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Gayle@48 wrote
on Jul 8, 2013 1:48 PM

I'm working my way around beading Daily …… I would like to know if anybody has used elastic for nice agates for bracelets……. I'm useing a 1mm elastic,  it's thick but feels good, the recovery time in all the others is slow!

Any thoughts, anybody!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,465
D.M.Z wrote
on Jul 8, 2013 3:05 PM

Gayle, since this thread is about looming I don't know that anyone will really see it. I'd repost it as a NEW question in the same category (how do i). Personally I'd not put an agate on elastic, I'd bet it would break quickly. There are probably lots of folks here who could answer you because they string agates. DMZ

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Gayle@48 wrote
on Jul 8, 2013 5:27 PM

Thank you!  I'll do that!

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Gayle@48 wrote
on Jul 8, 2013 5:27 PM

Thank you!  I'll do that!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 922
on Jul 9, 2013 1:46 PM

connollydesign:

Hi there, DMZ.  Thanks  for your response!  As usual I'm over-thinking, or not thinking.  But I did a rough layout to try and demonstrate my problem.  Running the "lock-in" thread for the 8/0 and 11/0 is no problem and I can get the first row working great.  It's when I want to insert a second tier of 11/0 in the same row is where I can't figure.  This occurs throughout the layout.  Thanks, DMZ.  You're ACES!

I would love to add my two cents here, but not sure if I am understanding what you are wanting to create. A double layer of just the smaller beads, on top of the weaving, when complete? Or are you trying to make double the width of the 8/0, while weaving?

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Jul 9, 2013 2:05 PM

That would be the latter.  Not on top, no added thickness.  I'm trying to double the width with 11/0 fitting between 8/0.  However, as DMZ has pointed out, 11/0 is too big.  I'm going up to 13/0.  thanks!  shawn

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 922
on Jul 9, 2013 8:38 PM

Ah, I gotcha. There are a few ways to complete that idea. What you are now arranging to do is one of those I too would suggest. Please be sure to keep us in the loop. I, for one, would love to watch this unfold! Wink

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 922
on Jul 10, 2013 9:47 PM

Just stopping in wondering how your weaving, on the loom, is working out. I am ready to discuss other options, if the first attempt is not as you planned.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS