Thread Starter Suggestion

This post has 21 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jan 8, 2009 6:52 PM

I've been meaning to post this for awhile, but other stuff has been stopping me. I'm not sure why except that it may be a bad idea. *laughz* I know that I can't be the only one who would like to be able to see the thread starter from the main fourm page. We can see who made the last reply from there, but not who started it. I'm one of the ones that has a very slow internet connection and I have it set up so that I see the last replies first because of that reason alone. The entire site isn't very friendly to us dialup users, so I do this to keep from rereading through several pages to get to the latest replies. I think that it would help some of remember what the thread started out as because some of them take some really strange twists and turns before it's all done, ya know. If we can see who started it, it just may help some of us more absent minded keep up with the origional topic.

Anyhoo, just something that has been gnawing at the back of my mind for awhile now that may benefit more than me and my stroke damaged brain. Short term memory loss can be very funny to people that don't have the problem, and I try to laugh about it as much as possible, but it does get old and rather quickly at that sometimes. Like I said, just a suggestion tossed out on the table.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jan 9, 2009 5:46 AM

I think that is a very valid point and a good idea Billy! I know that I will sometimes remember the starting point but can't really find it again. We do have a tendency to get off topic. Sometimes we can get back on but not always. 

Some of the off topics will give me a much needed laugh though, THANKFULLY!

wrote
on Jan 9, 2009 6:20 AM

Good idea!  I've thought about that a few times myself, but it didn't occur to me to suggest it.  Thanks, Billy.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
Shawna18 wrote
on Feb 6, 2009 5:40 PM

Omg i think about that almost every time i come on here. Yes please help us with poor memory, post the thread starter, if you still want to include the latest poster cool, if not thats just fine, i just want to know who began the thing :P

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,144
on Feb 7, 2009 9:16 AM

Alastar Dragonfly
Billy, is this what you mean?  I get a little [a little?] dense at times, especially when my stomach starts thinking of food.
Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,095
Sherri S. wrote
on Feb 7, 2009 6:31 PM

Hey guys, I never have this problem.  I've got mine set up to list the most recent post LAST.  I just open the thread from the forum page and the original poster is at the top.  If I want to go to the most recent post, from the forum page, I click on "last post", and it takes me to it, and all of the other most recent posts for that thread.  I've got a 26.4K dial-up connection (yes, SUPER slow), and this works great for me. 

I hope this helps!

Sherri S.

Check out my Etsy Store......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6321824

Check out my Etsy Beads Store.......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7141344

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,144
on Feb 7, 2009 7:07 PM

I use wireless, and I prefer to receive them from 'most recent post''.  It's all matter of preferences.   And when it comes to the BeadSwap, that's the only way to go!

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Feb 7, 2009 8:46 PM

I did the same thing because of dialup, but I now have an Alltel Wireless connection and it is freakin' AWESOME!!!!! I have this little dealio that looks like a thumbdrive that simply plugs into my USB slot and connects at the speed of sound(maybe light). *laughz* It's faster than Time-Warner's Roadrunner at it's fastest so i am happy. Very happy indeed, but I'd still like to know who started the threads, ya know.

Billy ;o)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on May 21, 2009 8:51 AM

Alastar Dragonfly:

I've been meaning to post this for awhile, but other stuff has been stopping me. I'm not sure why except that it may be a bad idea. *laughz* I know that I can't be the only one who would like to be able to see the thread starter from the main fourm page. We can see who made the last reply from there, but not who started it. I'm one of the ones that has a very slow internet connection and I have it set up so that I see the last replies first because of that reason alone. The entire site isn't very friendly to us dialup users, so I do this to keep from rereading through several pages to get to the latest replies. I think that it would help some of remember what the thread started out as because some of them take some really strange twists and turns before it's all done, ya know. If we can see who started it, it just may help some of us more absent minded keep up with the origional topic.

Anyhoo, just something that has been gnawing at the back of my mind for awhile now that may benefit more than me and my stroke damaged brain. Short term memory loss can be very funny to people that don't have the problem, and I try to laugh about it as much as possible, but it does get old and rather quickly at that sometimes. Like I said, just a suggestion tossed out on the table.

Billy ;o)

Bump. I don't want to let this die. ;o)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,144
on May 21, 2009 9:30 AM

Right on Billy!

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 446
on May 21, 2009 10:53 AM

YES YES YES YES

LOL - I was going to suggest the same things and for me it has nothing to do with connection speed.  It's helps to know the "author" of a thread.  It especially makes a difference in the showcase category.  And it definately makes it easier to keep track of threads you're following or even people you want to keep up with.

Over on cakecentral.com they do this in their forums.  They have both the author listed and the last reply listed.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=20&sid=84ef18a5c7611a79b89134d9495c6419

You can see what I mean if you click on the above link.  I would LOVE to see that implemented here.

Kirsten Coffee 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 74
butterfly@14 wrote
on May 21, 2009 11:25 AM

Billy,  I agree with you. Like you, my memory is not so good. I asked a question about wire in a thread, and I can't even remember on which thread  I asked it, or where it was. If this will make it easier for us to find things, I am all for it.  I am not very computer litterate either, so I don't even know how or what to do, to find the latest posts. Could be staring me in the face, but I haven't found it yet. Embarrassed

wrote
on May 22, 2009 2:36 AM

To find posts you haven't read, go to the main forums page, and on the right side under the projects for sale, there is a box with 3 lines in it.  One of them is "posts you have not read." If you click it, they will come up by date, most recent first.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on May 24, 2009 5:50 PM

Jeni, I know how it works and that has absolutely nothing to do with what I am asking. In the list, you can see the person's name who posted LAST. That is great, but I'd ALSO like them to show who started the thread as well as the last person posting. See what i'm saying? This is the only forum that I have been a part of that does NOT show the thread starter in the list.

Billy ;o)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on May 24, 2009 5:57 PM

Oooops, sorry dear, I have my post listings backwards and I didn't read the post before yours before I posted my reply. I apologize, I thought you were telling me that. I'm real good at putting my foot in my mouth, ain't i? *grinz* I really am sorry sweetie.

Billy ;o)

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS