How do I price these

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jun 24, 2013 9:43 AM

Hi everyone.  I am selling my entire beading inventory into five lots.  I was wondering if you could help me understand how to price them.  I haven't made anything in about four years, so I haven't purchased anything in that time either.  I know sterling silver prices have been up and down since then and honestly, I don't even remember what I paid for individual things back then because I used to buy in $100 increments.  I also have a lot of  Vintaj stuff, but on the Vintaj website, I didn't see prices. 

Also, wondering if you would tell me where is the best place to sell?  I ran two listings on ebay, but I'm doubtful they'll get enough exposure there.  Should I list the others on Etsy?  I used both of those sites when I was selling, but things have changed a lot in four years! 

Thank in advance for any help!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,539
D.M.Z wrote
on Jun 24, 2013 1:14 PM

If you still have an open shop on Etsy, go there but to start a new shop you'd have to do a lot of promotion to get people to look there. I'd try listing a lot on Craigslist, if you are in an area where you don't have more scammers than legit buyers. We do well with a variety of items, most all sell well and fast. I'd certainly look there for a bargain on beads and findings. As far as pricing........you will have to set a "happy price". Figure out what you would feel good about for the whole thing, divvy up that number and if you would consider taking an "offer" just add 5% to your happy number and go with it. With the economy not yet recovered, I'd say if your beads were mediocre when you bought them (Chinese or Indian of lower quality) the newer beads are much improved. I've seen huge improvements in all beads (except Japanese which have been great for years) from both of those countries. Not sure if any of this will help, but it was my first thoughts.

If you have a local bead society, try them because they are all actively beading. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jun 24, 2013 4:30 PM

Thanks for the advice.  I really do appreciate it.  I don't have my etsy account any more, which is why I resorted to ebay.  I've been pinning each item on Pinterest and hoping to gain a little exposure that way.  I guess if nothing sells then I'll know my prices are on the high side.  Thanks again!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 159
on Jul 2, 2013 10:00 PM

Don't make the mistake of listening to non beady or crafty people about pricing!

I did that when I first started and listened to my brother... He suggested I add up all my materials used + the hourly amount I used to make whilst temping ($30) x  time spent on it... My total amount would be far out like $700 -$1000 for a loomed bracelet!! As if...

Now I just settle on a price $20 - $25, and make the bracelet to match that price, all still using good quality materials like Japanese beads and S-Lon. Pop in the occasional Swarovski and push the price up to $35.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS