types of cords for larger beads

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
KVD17 wrote
on Jun 16, 2013 9:16 AM

Hi All, I am fairly new to beading, and although I have mastered quite a few types of beads and stringing techniques, I would like to move on and learn something new. I cannot quite figure out what kinds of cord are used for stringing acai, tagua, and wood beads, sometimes. Well, I even saw chipstones strung in this way. I tried to look online and the closest I got was C-Lon, Nylon, and Waxed Cotton cords. Just looking at online pictures, I can't see the difference (visually). Plus, they come in different sizes. Could someone please give some advice or refer me to a web page where I can read about them? I have a tagua bead necklace but I cannot figure out what cord was used by the artist. Something similar to Waxed Cotton but I can't be sure. Thanks in advance for your help!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 540
shanks wrote
on Jun 16, 2013 3:12 PM

Hemp is a good stringing material. Comes in lots of colors and sizes.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
CircaUK wrote
on Aug 19, 2013 2:36 AM

Mostly they are strung onto cotton cord and I got this info from TUMI a jewellery blog.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 244
beadinstyle wrote
on Sep 11, 2013 5:13 AM

The type of cord you use may depend a lot on the hole size of the beads you are using. For chips, the hole sizes are often small, so a cord of less than 1mm might be needed. For tagua, I have found 1mm waxed cord is great.  It will feel (and look) different when the wax wears off later.  S-lon and the heavier tex cord work too.  And fine leather. 

Hope this helps. 

Have fun. 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS