Pearls and Lace

This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,717
Valbeads wrote
on Jun 6, 2013 2:01 AM

Couldn't remember if I'd posted this particular set on the Showcase or not.  Can't seem to locate it so am hoping....not.  At any rate, this was my design for Easter this year.  Everyone knows what a pearl fiend I am!(lol)  The crystals are Swarovski padparadscha.  The pearls came from my favorite LBS in Occoquon, VA.  I do think the gold spacers I used gave it a delicate, lacy look.

If you look closely, the little "charm" is actually a locket in the shape of a Bible!  I really love how the color combination turned out.  Think I'll take it with me to TN.  I hope you like it.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 184
KathyK1999 wrote
on Jun 6, 2013 12:19 PM

Very pretty, padparadscha is such a neat color.  The wheels are starting to turn now that I see how well it pairs with pearls.

Kathy

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 186
noelohwell wrote
on Jun 6, 2013 1:27 PM

very pretty and delicate looking!

Noel

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,011
ingrid@38 wrote
on Jun 6, 2013 2:04 PM

Ahhh, this is lovely, I really like the colors you´ve used here. 

Ingrid

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ingridwang69

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,717
Valbeads wrote
on Jun 7, 2013 1:09 AM

I'm so glad you all like it!  I fell in love with those peach pearls when I saw them at Off the Beading Path in Occoquon.  So of course, I had to have them.  And I fell in love with Swarovski's padparadschas.  It's such a juicy, citrus-y color, isn't it?  It's perfect for my complexion.  I don't know what it is, but I seem to be a bit obsessed with pearls at this time, so don't be surprised to see them playing a starring role in my future creations.

Thanks again for everyone's kind words.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 446
megabgirl wrote
on Jun 10, 2013 11:49 AM

Very cute earrings!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,717
Valbeads wrote
on Jun 12, 2013 12:52 AM

Aren't Swarovskis yummy?Smile

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 440
Ricki Ayer wrote
on Jun 12, 2013 11:48 AM

Love the combination - just beautiful.  So, just how do you pronounce "padparadschas"?  I just refer to it as "pad" since I can't get my head around the pronunciation...but it is one of my favs.  I did a very cool set using "pad" with hematite not too long ago.  I love pearls too - now I guess I need to find some to match "pad". 

Have fun in TN

Ricki

Ayer Baubles

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,717
Valbeads wrote
on Jun 13, 2013 10:34 PM

Good idea to ask the Russian expert!  It is a Russian word, and I'll sound it out for you phonetically: pahd(like father),per(like percentage), ahd(like father), and this is the tricky part, because there's no English equivalent to this Russian letter, schah(pronounced like father, but you have to put the "sch" before it).  I love the rich coral color of it. 

Michaels is having a sale on Swarovski crystals for 40% off.  I went a bit nuts and got some Pacific opal bicones.  I think they'll look lovely with the padparadschas.  BTW, Swarovski is another word that is pronounced differently than it's spelled.  The "W" is pronounced like a "V" and the "V" is pronounced like an "F."  That's because in German and in all Slavic languages, Russian and Polish included, the letter W does not exist.

Can't wait!  One more week to go.  Can you imagine the kind of inspiration I'll get from Graceland?  Whee!  Maybe I'll make something inspired by the Jungle Room!(LOL)

Val

PS here's that Russian letter:    Щ

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 514
tcwhit wrote
on Jun 15, 2013 3:57 PM

[pahd-puh-rah-zhuh Padparadscha sapphire is a special variety of gem corundum, featuring a delicate color that is a mixture of pink and orange – a marriage between ruby and yellow sapphire. The question of just what qualifies for the princely kiss of “padparadscha” is a matter of hot debate, even among experts.
Today, padparadscha is narrowly defined by Western gemologists as a Sri Lankan sapphire of delicate pinkish orange color. But the original use of the term was somewhat different. Padparadscha is derived from the Sanskrit/Singhalese padmaraga, a color akin to the lotus flower (Nelumbo Nucifera ‘Speciosa’). Most lotus blossoms are far more pink than orange, and in ancient times, padmaraga was described as a subvariety of ruby (cf. the Hindu Garuda Purana). Today, some define the gem's color as a blend of lotus and sunset."

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS