Glue for jump rings

This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 178
carolee1945 wrote
on Jun 3, 2013 10:44 AM

What would be the best (and easiest!!) glue to use for jump rings??? They always seem to open and the charm slides through.  I really like the Snapeez jump rings that snap shut, but sometimes I want to use a different sized one  (or a less expensive one)  Please advise.  Thanks

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,471
D.M.Z wrote
on Jun 3, 2013 12:13 PM

Carol, First off, I think best and easiest are a natural oxymoron. Usually easy glue is not the best and the best glue is not the easiest. My pal who sells lots of high end jewelry takes her rings and solders them shut. It is a fast process but needs care to not harm what is around them. I really don't know that ANY glue would truly work because the jump rings are wire and thus inherently flexible which would pop the glue right off.

I've pretty much ditched jump rings except for the old old ones that I came by. The newer ones are just not cutting it as far as overall strength. What I have done is invest in split rings. They are safe from just opening up and dumping your charms. Look for mixed size bags of split rings and buy them in goldtone and silvertone and that should stop your problems. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 214
KathyK1999 wrote
on Jun 3, 2013 12:22 PM

I too use mostly split rings (except when I can't find them in the color I need).  I use a pair of split ring pliers to open them while attaching the clasp or whatever.

Kathy

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 544
shanks wrote
on Jun 3, 2013 8:30 PM

You should be looking for jump rings that are made of hard or half hard wire. If you can hold one side with a plier an use your fingers to open and close the jump ring it is too soft. You could work harden the softer ones by using a soft headed hammer and pound on them a few times on both sides, or try bending them back and forth using two pliers. See how many times it takes for one to break, and then bend another one a couple times less. This will make the jump ring harder as well.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 411
Memoosim wrote
on Jun 4, 2013 9:01 AM

Work hardening the rings by hammering with a rubber mallet, or tumbling them for a couple hours is a good idea. Buying hard or half-hard is good to.  Usually I make my own, but when I don't I buy them from Blue Buddha or TRL. For plated rings  the ones from FMG are good, I've never had a problem with them.   I wouldn't recommend doing the wiggle almost to the point of breaking because, well.. that brings them almost to the point of breaking.  If a customer decided for whatever reason to open one of them or try to close it tighter..  it could break on them.  Then you've got shoddy work.  Just my 2 cents.  Solder really is the only and best seal method. 

P.S. The blog link was supposed to be removed, it's closed.

Cherie

Dance.  Even if you're the only one who hears the music. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 564
Beadiecat wrote
on Jun 4, 2013 9:46 AM

These are all very good suggestions.

Another thing you could do is eliminate the jump ring entirely.  Learn to make a wrapped loop, then use wire and attach your charms with wrapped loops. It will be impossible for them to come off.

Cat

Not Ranked
Posts 8
on Jun 7, 2013 3:01 PM

You've gotten a lot of good suggestions. I'm using split rings more because of problems with jump rings.

But two things that might help:

1.  Use two jump rings instead of one. It's less likely that something will wiggle out of two jump rings than one.

2.  Use oval jump rings. Whatever you've attached with the jump ring will hang at one of the oval ends, while the opening is at the side. 

Earlier in this thread, someone said they have not had trouble with jump rings from FMG. I have no problems with their sterling or gold-filled jump rings, but the gold-plated ones lose their gold color very quickly for me. I'm rarely using the GP ones these days.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 178
carolee1945 wrote
on Jun 7, 2013 7:27 PM

Thanks to all of you!!!  I got out my split rings and my split ring pliers, but the rings did not fit on clasp!! Beading jewelry is much more complicated than all these "easy" book titles would have you believe!!!  I like the two jump ring idea.  Also the idea of using stronger rings.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 544
shanks wrote
on Jun 8, 2013 1:52 PM

I am adding this because it is related here. Soldering jump rings

Tip:  double over some 400 grit sandpaper, slide it a couple of times in the slot of the jump ring. Very carefully apply some solder paste in the slot. Holding the soldering iron on the inside of the ring, when ring is hot, touch the outside of the ring with the solder. The solder will jump down, filling the gap and will leave very little solder on the outside of the ring. I like to use solder for electronics, Radio Shack comes to mind.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
VonVonne wrote
on Jun 8, 2013 4:25 PM

try split rings (like key chain rings, only smaller); they're more secure.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
VonVonne wrote
on Jun 8, 2013 6:13 PM

-filled jewelry wears better than -plated jewery; filled is thicker than plating.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
on Jun 10, 2013 7:33 AM

This is wandering off the topic of securing jump rings, but yes, of course, gold-filled wears better than gold-plated. But in my experience, there's a LOT of variation in -plated components, even for identical items. I bought some 3mm GP accent beads several years ago, and they still look fine where I've used them. I ordered more about six months ago, but the new ones have begun fading almost immediately.

So I've been using the GF jump rings more often than GP to avoid issues with fading, and then split rings more often than jump rings to avoid having things wiggle out of jump rings. 

-- Sandra

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Jun 24, 2013 7:21 AM

There are snapeez rings. It looks much neater than split rings.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS