August Challenge 2013

This post has 48 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,977
SEllen 2 wrote
on Jun 1, 2013 3:05 PM

We've just finished our June Wedding Challenge and are now posting our finished pieces in the Reader Showcase.

Let's  keep our momentum going with an August Challenge.

Create a piece(s) that are inspired by your favorite dessert.   It can be anything from chocolate chip cookies to strawberry shortcake or some decadent chocolate creation or bon bons.

You have from now to June 30th to deside if you want to participate and to go through your stash or buy any materials you will need.

Start your project(s) on July 1st and have them completed by August 1st when we will reveal our completed projects.

So what do you think? Are you up for it?Yes

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 161
xXfantasyXx wrote
on Jun 2, 2013 5:15 PM

I'm up for it!  Especially since my  favorite mealtime is dessert :)

~Grace~

Do your best & let God do the restSmile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,563
D.M.Z wrote
on Jun 2, 2013 6:44 PM

Oh hear we go again, this time I am ready for it. A while back I bought Katie Dean's book "Sweet Treats" because I am devoted to desserts. I had seen the picture of her chocolate eclairs and just had to have the book. I pulled the beads for some cupcakes, but between now and then I'm going to finish up some UFO's and get my loom project going. 

But unless something happens between now and then, I'm in. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,977
SEllen 2 wrote
on Jun 3, 2013 11:30 AM

Yeah!

Donna- I hope nothing happens between now and then. 'Cause I can't wait to see what else you've got up your sleeve.

fantasy- You mean there's a mealtime other than dessert?*L*

I just can't decide what dessert I want to use. Strawberry shortcake, cherry cheese cake, german chocolate cake, black forrest cake. Or maybe Cherry coconut pie, or lemon merangue (sp?) or maybe one of those designer ice cream flavors.

Choices, choices, choice.Confused

TTYL

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,563
D.M.Z wrote
on Jun 3, 2013 9:54 PM

I got to cherry coconut pie and stopped reading............. oh really, something like that exists? My taste buds got all worked up into "sample" mode and I could just imagine the taste. We get tons of bing cherries here a bit later in summer and that was the flavor that struck me. Also when I lived in Ohio I had two really old and well  pruned Queen Anne cherry trees and while all the red cherry trees got stripped clean by the birds, they never went near the Q.A.'s as they must have figured they weren't ripe. Oh, I am in trouble now............munchy time. Our strawberry season came early because of the weather this spring, but the strawberries didn't have the flavor as they came on too fast........bummer. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,977
SEllen 2 wrote
on Jun 3, 2013 10:28 PM

Oooh! SurpriseStrawberries. I Love Strawberries.

But, unfortunately, they don't love or even like me.Tongue Tied But I still dream about them.

Umm,Huh? maybe this wasn't such a good idea to do desserts. 'Cause now I want samples.*L*

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 517
tcwhit wrote
on Jun 4, 2013 6:53 PM

LOL - Of course desserts were a good idea! If it's too difficult, perhaps we could go with vegetables, instead? j/k

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,977
SEllen 2 wrote
on Jun 5, 2013 11:29 AM

tcwhit:

LOL - Of course desserts were a good idea! If it's too difficult, perhaps we could go with vegetables, instead? j/k

Confused Zuccini Bread!  Golden Browns with flecks of dark green. Stick out tongue Yummm!

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 220
trayck wrote
on Jun 6, 2013 5:09 AM

At the moment my brain is challenged out but between now and the end of the month who knows...

T

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,977
SEllen 2 wrote
on Jun 8, 2013 2:19 PM

I finally decided on my dessert for this challenge...Black forrest cake.Stick out tongue (Chocolate & cherries)

I've had to order some beads for it though so now I'm on pins and needles waiting for them to come.Huh?ConfusedConfused

I have my design idea but the only thing I haven't really got in my head yet is the closure.

I think I may need to re charge my thinking cap. (Maybe I'll have cake)*L*

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 161
xXfantasyXx wrote
on Jun 8, 2013 6:26 PM

Mmm!  Chocolate & cherries!  Good choice.

I decided to do red velvet cake with white frosting, angel's food with chocolate frosting, and ice cream cones.  I had to order some beads for this challenge, but luckily I found a really nice site and ordered them last night.

~Grace~

Do your best & let God do the restSmile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,977
SEllen 2 wrote
on Jun 8, 2013 10:57 PM

Oh, yum Stick out tongue

I can imagine the red velvet cake & the angel's food. But...ice cream cones? Hmm I'm seeing a wire coiled cone and maybe some sort of bead embroidered stuffed piece for the ice cream to make a brooch or pendant?

I'm intriqued, can't wait to see what you come up with.

TTYL

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 517
tcwhit wrote
on Jun 9, 2013 9:44 AM

Perhaps I misunderstand this challenge. Is the piece to be an actual dessert? Or just something inspired by a dessert?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,977
SEllen 2 wrote
on Jun 9, 2013 10:52 AM

tcwhit:

Perhaps I misunderstand this challenge. Is the piece to be an actual dessert? Or just something inspired by a dessert?

You didn't misunderstand. You only need to be INSPIRED by a dessert.

I guess my last post about the ice cream cones may have misled you. Sometimes my thought process gets stuck on the litteral object and not on the inspiration.Embarrassed kwim? What I was trying to say was that I could see the inspiration in the cakes. But when it came to her ice cream cones I was at a loss of how to interpret that without actually making an ice cream cone.

Sorry for the confusion.Sad

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,977
SEllen 2 wrote
on Jun 10, 2013 11:58 AM

Yeah! My bead order arrived this morning.Big Smile

So, now I've got my design inspiration, my beads, and even my pattern design idea. But I'm still trying to figure out the construction of a closure. I really want to do something besides a toggle clasp.

Have fun playing with your beads today.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Page 1 of 4 (49 items) 1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS