Best way to use a strand reducer???

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Rosiecm wrote
on May 21, 2013 10:56 PM

Hi...

i want to make a multi strand necklace and I have some strand reducers that I want to use..  Not the ones that you see the connections, but the reducer that is shaped like a triangle and the 3 strands go up inside the connector in separate holes and come out the one hole at the top...  

Want to make the necklace out of some gem chips..

thinking I may use thread for the multi strand section, then use tiger tail up to the clasp either side above the reducer...

if I do this is there a way to connect the thread to the wire???  If not do I use wire for all of it and simply use 1 long strand that goes all the way up to the clasp, and then just crimp the other 2 multi strand short sections of tiger tail to the long continuous piece???

any advice would be greatly appreciated.. Would love to use these reducers the best way possible... Unable to find any tutorials on these reducers, only the ones where you see the connections..

thanks heaps

Rosie....

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 190
trayck wrote
on May 24, 2013 7:15 PM

Hi Rosie,

What you've described sounds like you might be using some sort of bead cone.

I've never used them but the youtube clips I've seen show that you attach the threads to a jump ring  which the other single wire is also attched to and this is hidden up inside the bead cone. So you have the multiple strands coming out the bottom and the single wire out the small top

I've only seen ones with a big opening at the bottom not 3 holes like you said so I don't know if this will help you.

T.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 190
trayck wrote
on May 25, 2013 4:51 AM

I just did a google on 3 hole reducers and saw that there is no way to fit a jump ring inside.

What I would try is to make a loop end with the tiger wire.

Poke all 3 strands up through the reducer and then attach them to the loop you have created then pull it tight so that the loop with the strands attached is hidden inside the reducer.

Good Luck

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS