Sand and Sea (knotted illusion necklace)

This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,811
Valbeads wrote
on May 16, 2013 12:16 AM

This was my first attempt at knotting, in an effort to make an illusion-style necklace.  I was inspired by the latest issue of Bead Style Magazine.  It was very difficult!  It took me several tries, because the strands kept tangling together so badly before I could get everything aligned.  Third times's the charm, though.Smile  The stones I used were mother-of-pearl chips, aquamarines, and deep aqua chips.  It's a lightweight necklace for warmer weather.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 315
Niwas wrote
on May 16, 2013 1:10 AM

Wery nice Val, reminds me of the blue ocean and small white clouds.

Hope you all are having a great day.
If you want to see more made by me please visit my Faebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/NiwasSmycken?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on May 16, 2013 6:22 AM

Beautiful!  Welcome back, Val! Big Smile

Ottercat Coffee

05-16-13 (0422 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 440
Ricki Ayer wrote
on May 16, 2013 10:59 AM

Hi Val - I have been toying with the idea of doing something with knotting as well (by the same mag).  Yours came out looking great.  I love your color choices.   I am thinking it may take me several tries to get something like this done as well...you are inspiring me to give it a try in the near future.  Right now I am in the midst of a 3 strand necklace - beads and chain.  I started it before we went on vacation - got it to where I think I am happy with the design and then left it to sit while we were gone...maybe I was hoping the Beading Fairy would finish it for me...no such luck, it's still sitting on my bead board where I left it.  My goal is to finish it this weekend...then maybe start to think about a knotted necklace...or something with some of the new beads I splurged on while we were in AZ.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful knotted necklace - I love it!!

Ricki

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 149
Handcrafted wrote
on May 18, 2013 3:39 AM

Hi Val,

this is a lovely jewellery necklace and it shows that practice makes perfect.

The choice of stones is perfect and I am sure that they are going to catch the light and look beautiful when worn. 

Blues are my favourite colours and pieces made with blue stones always catch my eye but I am sure that this design will look great in other colour ways

Handmade jewellery designs found here

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,811
Valbeads wrote
on May 20, 2013 2:21 AM

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments!  I guess persistence really does pay off.Smile  I may even attempt another one of these, one of these days.  Anyone think green and red aventurine would work well together or no?

And can anyone tell I've got beach on the brain?(lol)  Now, if only the bloody weather would cooperate.........guess it's time for a....ROAD TRIP!!!!  I've been cleared to travel again by my doctor, so it's time to flee South once again!

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 272
on May 23, 2013 2:39 PM

Smile m glad to c u back Val!! was missing u.. i like ur work.. i like those colours very much... how hve u been?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,811
Valbeads wrote
on May 27, 2013 2:11 AM

Thanks, sweetie, glad you like it.  I've been busier than you could imagine with my cantoring duties at church.  Then I received the devastating news that our choir director and organist of 25 years was retiring.  This was her last weekend.  I sang my final Mass with her last weekend.  Father gave me permission to pay tribute to her before the end of Mass and I broke down and cried.  For 16 years, Marcia has been my teacher, my mentor, but most of all, my friend.  It's going to be very difficult for me to go on without her.  I've met the new choir director/organist.  He seems very nice, and hopefully I'll adapt to his style quickly enough.  He's not interested in playing any crazy, avant-garde church music; if anything, he might be even more traditional, if that's possible.  It's just so difficult to be smacked with such a sudden change like this.  I'm going to be optimistic, though.

So far, my numbers are stable, though my potassium level continues to be a pain in the neck.  Oh, well, sigh........

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS