Tomato Plants

This post has 64 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 32
Ozzy Cool [H] wrote
on Jan 5, 2009 2:59 AM

Well I was good today as it was only 27c I got into the garden worse luck I had to pull out one of my tomato plants as was withered & dying but no matter the other 3 are doing well. When I planted them Brian (Husband) asked me why I put in such tall supports, when he saw them today they were above the supports almost to the top of the garden shed full of green tomatoes with some sowing signs of red we will be giving a lot away when ripe. tomorrow I must get into the cactus garden & get that in order, then I can get back to beading with a clear mind. So far I have kept my New Years Promise & have almost finished tidying up my beads in the bottom drawer of the cupboard I found a lot of things I had done when starting beading 3 years ago what a laugh they gave me As right from the beginning I had only bought good quality beads & did not want to waste them so I have undone them all & put the beads into containers.

Babs 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Jan 5, 2009 6:20 AM

"garden" ? is that what it is under all the snow ?

wrote
on Jan 5, 2009 6:22 AM

Only 27c, huh?  Here it's only 27F, which is below zero to you.  We even have another chance of snow tomorrow, but who knows if it'll really happen.  Enjoy your tomatos when they get ripe.  That's one thing I love about Italy-they know how to grow good ones here!  Once it warms up a tad more, I'll feel like getting out to the farmer's markets again.  We may even try to grow a few things of our own this year-our next door neighbor's veg garden looked fantastic last summer!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Jan 5, 2009 12:19 PM

Jsmaz:

Only 27c, huh?  Here it's only 27F, which is below zero to you. 

Degrees? How those -20 Celsuis sounds .... thats meen my life the last 2 weeks

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 32
Ozzy wrote
on Jan 5, 2009 3:28 PM

Thanks for your replies Just think when we are having winter you will be having summer but there is no pleasing me I don't like it when it is too hot & don't like it too cold. We are lucky here in South Australia as we are are in a temperate climate & where we live in a seaside town we are cooler in summer & warmer in winter than in Adelaide which is 90km. away. Well all of you keep warm doing you beading.

Babs

wrote
on Jan 6, 2009 12:09 AM

-20c Inca?  Ok, I'll quit b****ing abut the cold now.  We are supposed to get a few inches of snow over the next day or so which is exciting to me, but probably not to you.Sad  I'm sure you are sick of snow by now.  Just think how boring the Finnish World Rally Car race would be without it though!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,748
Kokopelli wrote
on Jan 6, 2009 3:55 AM

Oh yes, about -10°C and still snowing. We have now about ten centimeters of snow and that's more than the last three years together. But I like as I like skiing, sledding and everything else in winter. Not saying that I love summer when it's time for summer.

I pulled out one of my tomato plants, too. But it was all brown and dry. But I had wonderful tomatoes last summer. I grow them close to the house wall in my garden and in my parents' garden, along with zucchinis, pumpkins, beans, peas, salad etc. That's so fine to have your own vegs in summer.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 6, 2009 6:38 AM

According to my conversion chart that is less than 4 inches, are you sure you meant 10 centimeters? That is less than what we usually get in just one snow fall here in Southeastern Michigan. Or did I just read that wrong? I lived in Germany in the early 70's and I remember them getting alot more snow than 10 centimeters.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jan 6, 2009 9:39 AM

We had ice this morning...find drive into work! YAHOO!!! But I won't complain about it though, we are suppose to get snow on top of it tomorrow. YEAH MORE FUN!!! ( Note the sarcasm please...)

Can't really comment on the tomato plants as I don't like tomatoes as they are. They make a great spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce though. ( Not really much of a ketchup person either )

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Jan 6, 2009 12:47 PM

And I thought you were serious, until I saw the sarcasm bit! ;-)

But, a fresh slice of 'fresh out of the garden' tomato on bread, with mayo, just cannot be beat!! Not by anything!

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jan 6, 2009 1:28 PM

Stan - I will take your word for it. For some reason, to me the tomotoes have a slimy feel. Yes, I tried them as a kid and again as an adult. 

Hubby can eat them if they are chopped and added to a taco salad etc, not me! Slimy little bugers and I order everything without! I am one of those that if I know for sure that I ordered without, and I get it with, I will take it back and have them redo it unless it is just a slice that I can easily remove. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 6, 2009 2:15 PM

I agree with you Stan. We always plant plenty of tomatoes. Turned my 19 year old grandson onto mater sandwiches a couple of years ago. In the summer we eat mainly out of our garden very little store bought and very little meats, just lots and lots of fresh veggies. Love summer for all the fresh veggies.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,748
Kokopelli wrote
on Jan 7, 2009 12:08 AM

Sue,

yes, only 10 centimeters. When I was a kid (in the 80's) I can remember that we had lots of snow for snowmen and iglus, but not in the last years. There is snow in the mountains like Hunsrück, the Alps or Black Forest, but not as much as some years ago. In my area we have a lift for skiing and I can remember that it ran the whole winter, but in the last years there were winters where we didn't have enough snow to run it one day. That's sad, because I live snow sooooo much.

But now we have 10 centimeters and -27°C in some places. So this snow will stay a while. Big Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 32
Ozzy wrote
on Jan 7, 2009 1:42 AM

And to think I complain when it wet & windy with a temp of 4C I will TRY to say to myself next winter how lucky I am not to get snow & ice

Babs

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 7, 2009 5:39 AM

Wow, the weather has sure changed since I was last there. I left Europe in Aug of '79 after having been there since '72. I remember my kids playing in all the snow at our apartment. We lived in Spangdahlm, not far from Bitburg in the Eifle Mountains. Fogive me if I misspelled anything. What part of germany do you live?

Last evening we recieved from Mother Nature some freezing rain followed by a little snow. Just enough to make it really slippery to walk or drive. I don't walk anywhere much in the winter, I live in a very small village, and we don't have too many sidewalks here so you have to walk in the roadway, and in the winter that may mean a small track though the snow. Just too dangerous to be out there with the cars and trucks.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 1 of 5 (65 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS