Fuchsia is as hard to spell as swarovski!!!

This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 170
carolee1945 wrote
on May 13, 2013 6:10 PM

Here is my latest project.  The clasp is not right. I got a two toned button that I liked, but when I made the circle of beads, the beads showed on my wrist and just did not seem right. So, I put some crystals around the circle, but now the button does not lie flat. What do you think?  (PS I think clasps and sizing is the hardest part of a bracelet)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 514
tcwhit wrote
on May 14, 2013 8:47 AM

just a thought: Would you be against completely encircling the loop with the crystals, and making it an actual focal point of the bracelet?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,715
Valbeads wrote
on May 14, 2013 11:41 AM

GORGEOUS!!  Me LOVE fuschia!  Only shade of pink that looks good on me.  Clasp seems all right, but me agrees with you that those be the hardest parts of doing a bracelet.  Maybe that's why me so lazy me only does memory bracelets.Smile

I really do love it, though.  And yes, fuschia is such a pain to spell.  It took me ages to learn to spell it and I still screw it up.  That's why God invented spellcheck!Big Smile

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,358
D.M.Z wrote
on May 14, 2013 12:05 PM

Valbeads:

And yes, fuschia is such a pain to spell.  It took me ages to learn to spell it and I still screw it up.  

Val, in past years, on my costume jewelry list, we had a teacher who would scan ebay once a week on Wednesdays for the word fuchsia, and she would report not only the number of times it occurred in listings, but she'd also list the misspellings and how many of each she found. We would all just roll around laughing because she was like a big dog with a bone, could not leave it alone until she was done chewing and mauling it. I trust that we all got the spelling drilled into us then, I still laugh any time I encounter the word or have to type it. Part of knowing how to spell it was knowing that the botanist(?) that it was named for was Fuchs, somehow that saves me every time.

Nice to see you back with us, I missed you. Yours Fuchsia-lly Donna

P.S.: I love the bracelet and don't mind that the closure sits up a bit, I don't have problems with things like that, some closures are just bigger than the bracelet and so be it. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
KathyK1999 wrote
on May 14, 2013 12:36 PM

Sometimes we're our own harshest critics, because something doesn't turn out exactly as we envisioned.  I think it's lovely, button and all.

Kathy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,715
Valbeads wrote
on May 14, 2013 1:18 PM

Donna:

ROTFLMAO!  That's just tooooooooo funny!  Thanks for brightening my day.  Would you believe it SNOWED here yesterday?!  I've SO had it with this weather!  I need to go find a nice tropical island somewhere.

Obviously, I STILL can't spell that stupid word!Angry (lol)

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,358
D.M.Z wrote
on May 14, 2013 4:04 PM

Val, no I cannot believe it snowed.........ugh. I noticed on the news the other day the north wind that blew all the ice from a lake and pushed it onto shore and damaged some homes.......... the reporter said that was because the ice had not melted yet..........brrrrrr. He also mentioned that the temp was going up to near 90 the following day. Geeez what a swell place to live, maybe your snow wasn't so bad? 

I hate to even tell people that we had a decent winter and a delightful year so far...........because it could easily change and then I'd be kicking myself. We usually have a chilly wind off the ocean all spring, but here it has just showed up about a week ago..........that's ok with me as the dogs and I thoroughly enjoyed the warm sun without the wind. That means no wind knocked off all the fruit blossoms and we have fruit forming up already....... now that is different for us. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,715
Valbeads wrote
on May 14, 2013 6:38 PM

Well, if it's in the 90's here, I'm the Queen of England!(Obviously, I'm not, but I am a distant relative.  That's something for another time, though, and it's not something my family is proud of.)  Mom will have to cover her plants again tonight, especially if she wants peaches this year.  Don't know how well our apple tree is going to do, as it was plastered with lovely white blossoms, but not any more.  At least the snow didn't stick around.  Wish I could say the same for the miserable weather!Crying  Makes me grateful my furry children sleep with me, but they're starting to hate on this weather, too!

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 170
carolee1945 wrote
on May 15, 2013 8:24 AM

Thanks to everyone for responding!!! I wore the bracelet and as I wore it, I figured it out.  The stitch is flat spiral and I needed one more spiral at the top.  Then for the clasp I needed to take the crystals out of the bottom part of the loop so that when you button it, the button is flat, and there are two crystals on either side of the loop, making the bracelet look unified.  The loop by itself showed too much skin.  Yes, I got a big kick out of  trying to spell fuchsia, having spell check tell me it was wrong, but not telling me the correct spelling.  It is my favorite color, but I see from the Pantone people, it is not popular this year!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,358
D.M.Z wrote
on May 15, 2013 12:16 PM

Carol, totally delighted that you figured out the fix....... whoo hoo. Now if we could all develop the ability to see these things before and not just after, well we'd be some famous beaders, no? Anyway, good for you that you didn't just ditch the project. It is a great color scheme. The only flat spiral that I made has a simple clasp on it, all I had at the time but I like yours better. 

I think Pantone is a bit too sequestered and maybe not so worldly...........did you see what they chose to represent Emerald.......yuck. It is very wishy washy compared to actual Emerald, but so be it. So I don't always go by their colors even though I look forward to seeing what their predictions are. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,715
Valbeads wrote
on May 15, 2013 11:35 PM

So happy you could fine tune the clasp, Carol!  And poop On Pantone, anyway!  Fuchsia is the only shade of pink that's compatible with my complexion, so I'm wearing it no matter what!  Nyah!(sticks out tongue)  I'll change my avatar back to my photo so you can see what I mean.  I look very Celtic, because I'm half Scottish.

Donna: I thought theie shadr of Emerald was a bit insipid, too.  I've always thought of emerald as a rich, deep jewel-toned color. and it's a very flattering color on me.  I like to see the colors Pantone selects, but I don't always get their thought process. Perhaps they take a mind altering substance before they choose colors.(lol)  Btw, finally warmed up some here.  We'll see how long it lasts.

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS