SoNo thread

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 517
tcwhit wrote
on May 7, 2013 9:30 PM

Has anyone ever nade a dutch spiral necklace using SoNo thread? Am trying to make a thin one using 15/o seeds and wanted to use the thinner threads. I don't know if it's going to stretch out to ugly-land, or even hold up. Anyone ever tried it?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 634
shanks wrote
on May 7, 2013 9:50 PM

Have you given any thought to using 2# Fireline.   Now that is fine with no stretch.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 517
tcwhit wrote
on May 7, 2013 10:09 PM

I'm trying to make one small enough to use this stone as a focal

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,974
SEllen 2 wrote
on May 8, 2013 12:35 PM
TC- I have been experimenting with SoNo thread of late. I have made a few pieces with it. And I do like the thread, but I've learned quickly that I won't be replacing my fireline completely with it. The piece I was working on for The June Wedding challenge that cracked a bead was using SoNo thread and size 11/0 and 15/0 seed beads. Now, the first instructions I had for this stitch the thread went into the beads numerous times. So, I wasn't supprised that one bead broke. If you only go through the beads 2...3 times at most then you should do okay with the Dutch spiral itself. I have found that SoNo gives a suppleness to pieces it's used in. And with this suppleness comes some stretch. Even when using tight tension. I recently completed a Chenille stitched rope using the SoNo and all 11/0 beads. If you aren't familiar with Chenille stitch it is also a tubular stitch. While this stitch is naturally supple the SoNo made it even more so. While I was stitching it even streched some, it did bounce back with out anything on it. I did make a simple, lightweight focal for it and it's not stretched any so far. I think if you were to do your spiral with the SoNo and then run some bead stringing wire though your spiral to take the weight of your bead off the spiral its self I think it would do alright.kwim? I don't know if this helped you any. Good Luck with it. And don't forget to show it to us when you're done.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 517
tcwhit wrote
on May 8, 2013 2:00 PM

SEllen - good suggestion, as I was about to head to a local sporting store...... Like I NEED anymore odd spools, right? I'm still trying to work out the pattern/colors I want to use, so it's not sitting here screaming at me to get moving on it and running out to try to find 2 line wouldn't have been a problem. Thing is, I LOVE the SoNo thread. Never would have even tried it but for someone on this forum. (Jen maybe?) I do know so far that I can't use the sz 8's. they're just way too big for the outcome I want. Don't have the right colors to try a sz 10 seed instead, so I might be running out to shop anyway. ugh. As much as I love to buy beads, I really hate to go shopping. Everything is a minimum of 20 miles away, so once I'm out I try to do everything in one trip and sometimes my planning schedule doesn't work out so great.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 28
EmmaBaby123 wrote
on May 9, 2013 1:59 PM

HI,

I recently left a previous comment on this site advocating the use of Fire line thread.  Ever used it?  Once you do, i doubt you'd want to use anything else!

Emma x

For knotting techniques & tips & how to create macrame plant hangers, bracelets & necklaces, check out:  http://www.freemacramepatterns.net/

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 517
tcwhit wrote
on May 9, 2013 5:54 PM

Hi Emma, and thank you but, yes. I do use fireline a great deal. I just don't have any #2 as I've never felt the need for it. Still unsure what i'll end up with yet.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS