Cheaper alternatives to Fireline?

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 16
on Apr 21, 2013 4:02 PM

Hi everyone - I'm so proud of myself - I just bought a 125yd spool of Crystal Fireline 6lb .15mm (which = .006 for the BeadSmith equivalent) in the sporting goods section of Walmart for $15.96! (As a comparison, I paid the same for a 50yd spool at my LBS a couple months ago). I can get the same for $14 at Jet Beads but I figure the shipping cost (not to mention the llooonnngg wait to actually get it in the mail) makes it a little more than that.

Anyway - while I was practically jumping up and down with glee, my husband kept picking up other boxes of fishing line and asking me "why can't you use a cheaper kind? They all look the same but cost way less than Fireline?" And, while I didn't get the cheaper kind I thought I'd ask if anyone here has tried using a different brand of fishing line with all the same characteristics as Fireline... I'm all for buying the best products that will go into items I will eventually sell, but if I can save money and get the exact same thing, why not?

Anyone?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 21, 2013 6:11 PM

redclover..........how dare your hubby rain on your parade. Shame on him. Next time don't take him with you. Or send him to another department while you are shopping for bead line.

OK, for the real reason you buy brand name Fireline is because it has been used and tested by about a gazillion beaders. In addition to that, some fishing line are made to dissolve eventually in sunlight, Fireline is made of a slightly different base material and won't just bake away. Fireline is a multi-strand line and is bonded.......more strength which makes us all happier.

A lot of the lines he was trying to hand you are "monofilament" which is like the clear strands that beads sometimes come strung on from bead shops. Those strands are singles and have been known to just snap and break.......no rhyme or reason, just break. 

So.......those cheaper fishing lines are NOT the same exact thing. Trust us, we have tried a lot of them and they are lacking. There are some people who will tell you that Spiderline (sp?) and a few others are very good to work with................I'm not going to trust my work to such an experiment and the price is not that much better. Read labels and then put them all down and buy Fireline. Wildfire which is a product sold by Beadalon is Dandyline with a bonded coating according to their label. It is also thicker and the coating in the darker color will come off.

When you get to using it a lot, you will buy it in 300yd spools and smile even more. I buy mine from FishUSA as they are great people and their prices are right. They ship promptly and I like them. Sometimes you will find a sale at someplace like Cabelas or a sporting store like that, but that price won't be any better (as far as I've seen to date) than what you just paid at Wallie World. We don't have a Wallie here, I was in one once and it riled up my asthma something awful from that smell they have..........so I am happier with FishUSA on the net. Your local bead shop has to mark up, that is how they stay in business. I buy my smoke Fireline from them to support them and mainly because I don't use nearly as much smoke as I do the clear. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Apr 22, 2013 5:51 AM

Redclover-Fireline is best for strength and durability. It's been tried and tested by practically all of us, as have most of the lower priced lines and stringing materials. One thing to remember when beading with any type of string, when you're pulling the string through, don't pull with the needle, pull the string itself. The needle eye can cause wear on the string and make it break there. Ask me how I learned THAT lesson..... Confused

Not Ranked
Posts 16
on Apr 22, 2013 8:42 AM

Thank you so much for your great response – you helped me with my last question too so I really appreciate you! I am going to copy and paste the information you gave me and email it to my husband! I figured there must be a good reason for so many people to use Fireline exclusively (I gave up trying to thread my nymo and silamide and now use Fireline for stringing as it’s the only thing that will go through my needle! If I could crimp it, I’d get rid of my tiger tail too!) Thanks for the tip on FishUSA Idea I’m going there right now!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
SueMay100 wrote
on Apr 22, 2013 2:45 PM

Next time your hubby asks you about something cheaper, tell him there is Cheap, and then there is Inexpensive.  You want inexpensive, but not cheap.  Quality must be paid for.  Remember, you get what you pay for, and if you buy "Cheap" that is what you get.  CHEAP.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS