PLEASE_Where can I find approx 5mm round cut crystal element (non bead) that does not have a painted back

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Apr 19, 2013 10:42 PM

Hi y'all, I am trying to find a crystal or cz element, not bead, that has a pointed back but is not painted on the back. I need the ones that are all different color and brilliant all the way through. This search is killing me. I can post a pic of what Im looking for if I need to. PLEASE HELP

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 563
shanks wrote
on Apr 20, 2013 10:48 AM

Hi,

Have you tried doing a search for " SS22 MC Chatons"  I think you have already found that they will all have foil on the backs, but there may be something out there without.  What is wrong with the ones that are foiled backed?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,484
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 20, 2013 1:41 PM

In addition to shanks info, cz crystals will not be foiled on the backs......they do not need the foil to sparkle, they are more expensive. Sounds like you are looking for rhinestones. Add that word into your search and see if you come up with the right things. Many of the costume jewelry companies made wondrous pieces with unfoiled rhinestones, but mostly those were larger stones and not the little guys like 5mm size. 

If you find crystals/rhinestones that you like, the foil can be removed. The solution to make up is a smallish dish of vinegar large enough to hold all the crystals, then keep dissolving salt into it until no more will go into solution. You will have to stir this constantly while mixing and when salt finally starts to rest on the bottom of the dish you are there. Put your crystals with foil into that mixture and the foil will soon loosen and come off, rinse thoroughly and dry and you have your clear crystals. You can then pour the mixture down your sink, run water after doing so.

If you purchase crystals with foil and they have an AB or rainbow coating.........that will also come off with the foil. So be aware of that. Crystals with foil are made that way to enhance their reflectiveness, so expect a plainer look when you are done. 

What is the project? Inquiring minds.....you know. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 563
shanks wrote
on Apr 20, 2013 5:53 PM

Hi D.M.Z.

I have CZ crystals 3 sizes, 6 colors each and they are all foiled, maybe I got fooled when I bought them, but they sure do sparkle.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,484
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 20, 2013 9:28 PM

shanks, wow, on my way over to see. CZ's should reflect like diamonds.......they use them in jewelry stores to put in settings instead of diamonds (for display only and they replace them with diamonds when the ring is purchased) so I can't imagine, but I'd sure bet they'd sparkle with the addition of foil. Maybe this is CZ moving into a larger market........ Donna. always glad to learn more

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS