Challenge Anyone? Accepted

This post has 80 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Apr 23, 2013 7:03 AM

Tracey - I feel your pain. I'm spending way too much time trying to visualize what I've got and what will or won't work in such and such a piece. I can NOT justify any purchases right now. Besides, I'm out of room in the bead storage area............ I am only going to use what I have on hand. Probably. Maybe. Perhaps. We shall see. Ok, I do have to come up with ONE more item. Isn't that the way it always works out? I have more excuses to order beads then I have excuses why the ironing can't get done.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,950
SEllen 2 wrote
on Apr 23, 2013 11:08 AM

Welcome to the new voices in the thread. Thanks for the interest in our little challenge.

I am sooo glad to hear that I'm not the only one doodling and dreaming beads, and sometimes both at the same time.*L* I've got lots of ideas but I'm not sure I have the beads in my stash to carry them out. So, now I have an excuse to by those odds and ends to round out my ideas. As if, I really needed an excuse.*L*

Are any of you thinking about doing something for the groom & groomsmen? I'd like to but other than cuff links and a tie tack I'm coming up empty. What do you guys think?

Have a great day...Think Beads!

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,465
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 23, 2013 12:44 PM

Groomsmen, Groom = boutonnierres or lapel decorations other than flowers or a pocket handkerchief thingie, or decorated tie (do any of your remember the "Bead Boy" series done by Dustin Wedekind........ one related article on him featured a couple of his decorated ties........... Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Apr 23, 2013 6:52 PM

Groom? Groomsmen? Poop! No way. Boys have cooties.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,950
SEllen 2 wrote
on Apr 24, 2013 11:34 AM

tcwhit:

Groom? Groomsmen? Poop! No way. Boys have cooties.

Well, there we go!

I always wondered why guys didn't have more jewelry made for them. Now, I know.

Thanks for the laugh it made my day.Big Smile

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,950
SEllen 2 wrote
on Apr 25, 2013 11:22 AM

Finally,

I've completed the projects I was working on. They seemed to be taking forever to complete. Now, I  won't have any WIPs and can focus on the June Beading Challenge.  As if I haven't already been.

Now, I just need to start editing some of my ideas and see if I actually have enough beads to complete any of them.

I'm looking forward to getting started and seeing what you guys have come up with.

Have a great day!

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Apr 25, 2013 6:51 PM

I've finished the 1st idea. Yeah ok I hate it/ Now I've started on the second one. Turning out a lot more difficult than I thought it would. Perhaps this is a good thing, as it moves me beyond my comfort zone. I really, really hate jump rings. Apparently they're not all that fond of me, either. I truly think mine are all possessed by something totally evil and vindictive. I wonder just how thin I can cut duct tape?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,465
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 26, 2013 12:31 AM

TC, sounds like a whole new thread for us to explore..........vindictive and evil jump rings. Wowser. Duct tape? Oh how I'd love to be the little bug in the corner of your room, observing this creative process.

I have some beads pulled out, some sketches, and I'm grazing through bead books looking at stitches, BUT a serious problem arose today........two out of three bead mags hit my mailbox, Bead (from U.K.) and B&B, so of course I HAD to sit down on the sunporch and just barely glance through them. I also planted another section of my garden............life is so full of distractions. 

Moving beyond one's comfort zone is exactly what a challenge is about. I often look at the results of the challenges I've been involved in and quite frankly I sometimes wonder if I really did those things. They are radically different and amaze me no end. OK, I'm off to do more planning and looking for some large blown glass focal pieces, not lampwork but actually blown.....I think one is white. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,950
SEllen 2 wrote
on Apr 26, 2013 12:23 PM
TC- I know they say duct tape can fix anything...but, this would be interesting to see. I always have 1 or 2 ideas that I just don't like how they turned out. Then I get a bit frustrated and think I won't have anything to show for all the time I've spent with my beads. But eventually I get something that is acceptable may not be exactly what I had in mind but it works. Donna- I got one of my mags the other day and I did the same thing. I just couldn't wait to see what the pages held. I probably would have tried at least one of the pats but I didn't have all the beads required. (As usual) While not in one of the magazines, I did find a new stitch I haven't heard of before and I think I'm gonna give it a try. This maybe one of those ideas that doesn't turn out. But I think it will be a good challenge and if I get it to work it will look really pretty. Have a great weekend !

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 183
trayck wrote
on Apr 27, 2013 12:43 AM

So I've got a design for a bracelet and necklace and am eager to get started on them  Big Smile

But then disaster strikes.

I have found that don't have enough of the delica seed beeds in the colour I want to use, and the shop where I got them from doesn't have them any more. Crying

You would think the simple solution would be to get on line and order some more but... my problem is I don't know what the colour code is.  I've looked at a delica bead colour chart on line and have found 3 different colours it might be. Confused   I have a hard enough time making sure I've got the right colour in the shop let alone matching what i've got to a picture on the screen.

AAARRRGGHHH  I could see myself ordering beads waiting forever (well a couple of days at least) for the order to turn up and then to find it the wrong shade.

Oh well back to the drawing board (or should that be bead board)

T.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,465
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 27, 2013 12:49 AM

Can  you take a picture? How many do you need? Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 183
trayck wrote
on Apr 27, 2013 1:42 AM

I tried to take a photo but the colour looks different again to what they are in real life or on the delica charts.

I think they could be DB109 or DB0050 or DB0041 or......

I should have enough to make the bracelet (I am guessing I have about 1/2 a gram) but I don't know how many I will need for the necklace as the original design calls for around 18 grams and I've tweaked it so I am thinking I will need less but not sure how much less.

Time to start trawling the internet and try to find other local bead shops that might have them.

T.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,950
SEllen 2 wrote
on Apr 27, 2013 12:19 PM

T -

Isn't that the way it always works out. Never enough beads. Sad

I hope you find the ones you're looking for.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Apr 27, 2013 8:03 PM

SEllen 2:
Are any of you thinking about doing something for the groom & groomsmen? I'd like to but other than cuff links and a tie tack I'm coming up empty. What do you guys think?
While I'd love to join in, I really can't at the moment, but that didn't stop some ideas from popping into my mind.  Instead of tie tacks or cuff links, how about a 'tie necklace'?  The 'necklace' would drape over the top of the tie (close to the knot) with the ends connected (on either side of the tie knot) to a bar suspended between the collar tips (under the tie); the bar would keep the collar tips apart and allow the necklace to drape over the tie (over or just below the tie knot).  The groom's would be more elaborate than the groomsmen's and the design would reflect (compliment) the bride's (and her 'court') jewelry/design.  Maybe a 'charm' could be attached, so that after the wedding, it could be added to a key-chain (or something else) that he could use later.  This is just an idea -- welcome to anyone that would like to try it.  Have fun; can't wait to see the results!

Ottercat Coffee

04-27-13 (1802 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,465
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 27, 2013 8:03 PM

Tracey, OK, here is a quick shot of those three delicas............ so, 41 is a silver lined transparent crystal......no color, just silver. 50 is luster transparent crystal, so also very clear, but not with the flashy silver lining. 109....well that is a controversial one, my delica guru says it is also transparent crystal, she has it listed as a gold luster and AB finish. I do not know of any Delica that has two coatings on it, so I have labeled it AB which gives that look, but I just do not see gold luster which is usually very easily spotted on the transparent beads. As a rule the gold totally overpowers the color of the bead and I just don't see that with 109. Does this help you any? Donna

Page 2 of 6 (81 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS