Challenge Anyone? Accepted

This post has 80 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,904
SEllen 2 wrote
on Apr 19, 2013 12:00 PM

I've been hearing lately a common complaint about how slow things are around here. So, I thought maybe if we did a beading challenge things might pick up.

I have 2 thoughts one would be a Mother's Day challenge we could maybe do a common colors or theme. Like hearts and flowers or whatever. We could take a poll to see what ideas are most common.kwim?

For me Mother's Day is all about FLOWERS from the coursages that she'd wear to church to the ones she wanted to recive. In all colors reds, yellows, pinks etc.

My second idea was for a June Challenge. And the one thing most people think of in June is Weddings. So we could do a Wedding Challenge theme.

Let me know what you guys think of the idea of a challenge and what theme of the challenge you would like. Would you want to do something more general like just having an earring, challenge?( We could pick any type of jewelry earring,necklace,ring etc.)

Basically, let's see if we can't get the forums energized.

And since this is a member challenge I think it would be fun to have ANY of the Interweave staff join in on the fun. I think it would be great for the forums to see their enthusiasm and joy of beading as well as their presence on the forums. Providing that their work load would allow.

What do you guys think? Any ideas?

EDITED: Go to the sixth post on this thread to see the guidelines for this challenge. Look for the Bold lettered June Wedding Challenge

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,359
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 19, 2013 1:56 PM

S: I am not very experienced with either theme, so it totally would be a challenge for me. But I have lotsa beads and ready to go. Get it rolling and just post to the list when, where, etc. and I'll be "IN" if it is at all possible. D.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,904
SEllen 2 wrote
on Apr 19, 2013 3:35 PM

Thanks for the response Donna.

It may come down to just be the 2 of us but that counts. Big Smile

Mother's Day maybe to close to start the challenge with. I know some have already begun their Mother's Day pieces. But I'll give it some time and see how many responses we get and see what they think and what other ideas they may have.

I'll be sure to post the time span and all the info here when I do.

Thanks again & Glad you're playing along.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,904
SEllen 2 wrote
on Apr 21, 2013 2:11 PM

Just bumping this back to the top of the page.

I hope more members will join in.

Have a great weekend.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,359
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 21, 2013 2:29 PM

In our local Bead Society, Challenges have been "hot" or "cold" and not depending on what it was, just more like who was around and how everyone felt, etc. Our last one was pretty successful, we handed out almost 1# of a single color of beads to each participant and it was no rules other than like Beadwork mag, use as much as you can, add what you want........ We had two people take beads and just fall off the side of the earth, and one person who turned beads back in because of health issues. The resulting projects were absolutely amazing. 

June, spoon, croon, moon............ my brain is starting to fire on several of it's cylinders. Set some rules and let's you and I make everyone else jealous..........LOL. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 514
tcwhit wrote
on Apr 21, 2013 3:43 PM

Could be fun. I think just saying earring, or bracelets though is too general. Need some specifics so we're all working with the same theme. IE: Blue crystal, or Clear seed beads, or maybe green and brown. something less general. The crystal idea probably isn't so great, as they're kind of expensive to just play with. Unless of course we plan on selling our finished piece anyway............ Big Smile Having never participated in such a thing before, I'd love to see what you and Donna might come up with!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,904
SEllen 2 wrote
on Apr 21, 2013 3:44 PM

Okay, Donna

I'm not real big on rules but lets see... How bout if we start with

June Wedding Challenge

Using the old addage: "Something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue."

Using beads from your own stash or newly purchased beads. Create something for a member of the Bridal Party. And don't forget about the Groom & Groomsmen. Create a single piece or several. You can use any technique or combination of techniques you like.

Opening date: April 30th 2013 Date to have completed: June 1st 2013 There will be a thread in the Reader Showcase for you to post pics of your piece(s)

What do you think? Any changes or additions that you'd like to include? I'm not real experienced with themed type jewelry myself so this will be a learning experience for me.

Happy Beading.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,359
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 21, 2013 6:18 PM

OH BOY, at least three of us (TC you'll do great and we want to see you thinking and beading). I think the rules are just fine and a month should be sufficient. I love it, can't wait, I am getting my steam up already. Now I have to go shopping because I see some pre-prepared meals in poor dear hubby's future...........LOL. I have never ever done any wedding themed jewelry, too old to have friends who are of an age to get married, so it will be new to me too.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 156
trayck wrote
on Apr 22, 2013 3:09 AM

I'm in a beading phase at the moment and  as I read the challenge and I heard a little voice in my head say 'YES ! CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!!'

So count me in

Tracey

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,904
SEllen 2 wrote
on Apr 22, 2013 11:41 AM

tcwhit and trayck

Glad you guys Accepted the challenge too.

Now, we're 4!

I tried to do some "research" last night on what was considered "Wedding Jewelry". Other than the traditional pearls it seemed to me that pretty much anything goes as long as it's got BLING!

I saw some really interesting pieces that I have to admit I would not have thought of as "Wedding Jewelry". But I guess it would just depend on what type of wedding you were having. Beach wedding, out door wedding, destination wedding.

What do you think of as "Wedding Jewelry"?

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,359
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 22, 2013 1:12 PM

Challengers..........

The type of wedding is the key to it all, most think of the traditional wedding, but those of us of a "certain age group" remember lots of very non-traditional ones too (I'm sitting here laughing out loud just thinking about it, now my dogs have all come to see whether something is funny or if I've finally cracked up). I had just pulled my fave color book (the beader's color mixing directory by Sandra Wallace) last night and went through it looking for great color combos for the non-traditional look. So I'll start sketching and mulling now, and ready to start at the chime of the clock on April 30/May 1. Between now and then, I'll be cleaning up my bead cave and "preparing" for action. 

Even considering what I think of as wedding styles, I think the jewelry needs to be something special for the bride, something that she can always just look at and remember her special day and that is the important part. If she likes the odd thing, it is still her day and maybe you include a fish in her special jewelry, or a little dog or cat somewhere in it. If you are stuck, interview someone and then make the wedding jewelry for that person. It is a great challenge and we have lots of time. 

I just cannot wait to see the results!!! Donna

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 120
ScottishSue wrote
on Apr 22, 2013 5:39 PM

Hi

Last year for Mother's Day I gave my mother-in-law a necklace in which the pendant was a miniature May basket full of tiny beaded flowers.  It was a big hit.

That could be a VERY specific challenge.

ScottishSue

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 514
tcwhit wrote
on Apr 22, 2013 7:04 PM

Seriously, Donna? You haven't starting doodling yet??? Ha, you slow poke. What do you think I was doing all afternoon at work?? Big Smile I'm ready to start with the needle and thread already. The problem comes in that I can't decide which to use, or maybe incorporate all 3 that I was happy with, into one..... Ok, back to the etch-a-sketch Hmm

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 149
xXfantasyXx wrote
on Apr 22, 2013 8:08 PM

I think this is great, sounds like a lot of fun.  I would love to participate in this challenge:) 

~Grace~

Do your best & let God do the restSmile

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 156
trayck wrote
on Apr 23, 2013 3:11 AM

I couldn't get to sleep last night as my brain kept going through the beads I have in my stash (which is probably pretty small compared to some) and trying to create something.

The last thing I remember as I drifted off to sleep last night was trying to work out a pattern for a beaded flower using the pearl rice beads I have.  Then deciding it wouldn't work because they don't bend LOL

T.

Page 1 of 6 (81 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS