Best way to turn a brick stitched piece into a barrette?

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 47
MigotoChou wrote
on Apr 18, 2013 4:05 PM

Hi everyone!

I have a dilemma!

I just finished up a little brick stitch piece; it's about 1 1/8" wide, and 1 1/4" tall.  I think I want to maybe turn it into a small hair barrette, but I'm not sure of the best way to do this.

I was thinking of stitching it down onto a piece of Lacy's Stiff Stuff, and finishing it as normal bead embroidery.  I'm not sure if that's the best way though.  I don't want it to become too bulky.

I've looked around online a bit, but can't really find any tips for doing this.

Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated!

Amanda

MigotoChou

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,486
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 18, 2013 6:32 PM

Amanda, since it is brick I figure it has some body to it just by itself. If so, I'd go with ultrasuede and put the barrette mechanism behind the ultrasuede bringing it out through it, then E-6000 the whole shebang to the beaded part. Is there actually barrette hardware that small? I dunno as I have very short hair and don't even look at such things.

That way you only end up with two layers, the beads and the ultrasuede. If it is not firm enough to do that, you may have to add some sort of stiffener.......a thin sheet of non-corrugated cardboard is what Heidi Kummli recommends in her book Spirit of Bead Embroidery. At that point you have the beads, the cardboard and the backing with the barrette hardware sammiched in there. Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 47
MigotoChou wrote
on Apr 20, 2013 5:37 PM

Oh yeah, that makes sense. I didn't even think of just skipping the foundation!

And can you even believe...  I have some little barrettes that are about 1" wide!  They are soo tiny!

Amanda

MigotoChou

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS