will a blog help me!

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
christina..p wrote
on Apr 16, 2013 7:36 AM

i was wondering if anyone could help me with this. i make and sell my own jewellery and i am planning on setting up my own website in the near future. i am wanting to know that if i set up a blog to help me advertise myself can i also sell my products on it? and would it be a good way to get myself out there before paying for a website???

any help would be really appriciated

thanks.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 49
MigotoChou wrote
on Apr 18, 2013 4:33 PM

Hmm...  Honestly, I prefer blogs that showcase the artist's daily life, show works in progress, talk about recent events they've participated in, etc.  I've seen blogs that seem to be solely for selling product, and I don't stay on those and look around for very long.  If I am shopping for something, I prefer an actual website.

You could try setting up an Etsy shop.  It's very inexpensive to start up.  It's free to open the shop, and then just 20 cents for each listing, which stays up for four months.  They also take out a small percentage from each sale, but it's very small, and only when you've actually made a sale.  I think that would look more professional than just trying to sell through a blog.  At the very least, just look into it.  Etsy has a lot of great features now for sellers!

Do set up a blog though!  It's fun to read about what my favorite artists are up to and learn more about them! :)

Amanda

MigotoChou

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 450
megabgirl wrote
on Apr 26, 2013 4:13 PM

Will a blog help your business?

The short answer: YES!!!!

The long answer: YESSSSSS! (lol) Blogs are the #1 marketing tool I recommend for businesses for several reasons. For starters, they are a great place to really build your own brand, and give you the space for your audience to really get to know you and your craft, figuring out if you're a good fit or not. There is a lot more room to express your individuality on a blog than say, a 140 character twitter post.

Secondly, blog posts are permanent traffic-sender for your website or Etsy shop. Unlike a Facebook post or twitter update, when you write a blog post it STICKS AROUND. I get traffic to my Etsy shops and my web site from blog posts I wrote YEARS ago. That's how powerful they are.

Finally: Google LOVES blogs. A lot of that traffic from old blog posts comes from people doing a Google search, and stumbling upon my blog in the search results. Basically, if you want to get found by more organic (free) traffic, then you need to be blogging. :-)

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS