Fire Mountain Gems ?

This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 9
murralis wrote
on Apr 15, 2013 7:29 PM

On page 102, of the Jewelery Makers Catalog of Best Seller's, 2012-2013, recommends Designaseal Clear Gloss (A38-3239TL)   as something  to be used to extend a seed beads life and protect beads with a metal coating. Has anyone used it and will it work? Also there is a website that it can order from FMG at the maximum items cost, Jet ???, I think. Well, has anyone tried it and is it a rip-off?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,505
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 15, 2013 10:29 PM

Designaseal is not a metal coating.............it is a clear glossy protective layer you can put on beads. Much like the old Krylon spray that we used because it was all we had.

Jet is legit last I heard, they gather orders and consolidate and do big orders to get the discounts. I've never used them, but have friends who have.......not lately though as I have lost contact with my pals who did use him. D.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 81
on Apr 19, 2013 12:42 PM

Never used the Designaseal, but JetBeads is legit. However, be prepared for a good wait to get the products.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
murralis wrote
on Apr 23, 2013 9:25 PM

Thank y'all for the info on both questions. Checked the Jet site and the cost was only about 10% less and with the longer time factor, I will stick with direct order from FMG.

I ordered some of the Designaseal, because I am making a cross with silver beads, the ones that are not supposed to loose their finish. hope it helps. 

Not Ranked
Posts 18
on Apr 24, 2013 8:42 AM

I buy almost exclusively from jet beads but I’m not sure if that’s going to last because I noticed a $12.50 repackaging and shipping fee and I’m wondering if it might not be worth it to buy 200 of a small inexpensive item from FMG in addition to whatever else I’m buying might not be the better way to go. Has anyone tried that?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,505
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 24, 2013 1:24 PM

redclover,  you'll have to watch your purchases and quantities with your new "method" but yes it should work........and you'll be counting up to getting your new catalog too. I've ordered from FMG for years but lately since I've been working primarily with delicas and buying them wholesale, my orders to FMG have gone down. I noticed this year I didn't get the big catalog for the first time..........because I personally didn't order enough to be eligible for it. I have an order going in now that will fix that...LOL. I get about two day delivery as they are right down the road from me. What could be more perfect? I am sure that Jet needs to up their shipping as prices have all gone up on packages. Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 47
MigotoChou wrote
on Apr 26, 2013 5:47 PM

I have wondered about this, too.  Or ordering something that I go through pretty quickly - clasps, or ear wires or something.  But there are actually a lot of wonderful supply shops on Etsy that offer great prices on stuff like that!

I had never heard of the Designaseal A quick Google search brought up some results.  It looks like a regular gloss varnish from what I can tell.  I've heard that spraying clear Krylon on finished beadwork can help with colors rubbing off!

Amanda

MigotoChou

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 798
brightcircle wrote
on May 1, 2013 10:19 PM

I've used JetBeads and while the order does take longer to arrive, and yes that $12+ processing fee does complicate things, I personally found it worth my money. I recommend doing some quick calculations before placing your order, to figure out if you'd really be saving money. And yes, a compromise solution when ordering straight from FMG is bump up your order # of items with low-cost things $1 or less. This is where the 'sort by price' option comes in handy!

Handmade jewelry, beaded beads and more available at my NEW location, bonanza.com/booths/BrightCircle

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS