How do I end a 20+ stringed seed bead piece?

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 20
on Apr 15, 2013 1:19 PM

HI everyone - I love this forum! I've searched for an answer to this question but have found none so I'm hoping you all can help:

I love to make multi strand (20-25) seed bead necklaces. I used to use wire but I prefer the drape of string -  My only problem is, even when  using a thin thread  like Fireline,  I haven’t been able to find a clamshell that will fit all of my strands (I’d rather  not use one clamshell per piece because that would look ridiculous). I’ve been gathering up all the strings and tying them around my self-made eye pins but I haven’t found a cone that will fit around the circumference of such a large bulk.  I’ve been tying them onto one either end of S-clasps but I can’t use that technique for pieces I plan to sell. Please help!?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Apr 15, 2013 1:30 PM

Here's an idea, try making your own bead cap buy using seed beads in a peyote, stitched tube. you can close the end by decreases and put the eye pin up though the middle of it. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 219
on Apr 15, 2013 5:53 PM

Good idea Sue!  Redclover, have you ever used metal end cones instead of clamshells?

- Allie & Nathan
Potomac Bead Company

www.potomacbeads.com
Buy Online: www.thebeadco.com 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,564
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 15, 2013 6:20 PM

Something I saw somewhere, but of course can't remember where to refer you to it...........too much bead reading, not enough memory. Anyway several strands were gathered and tied off onto an eyepin. You could do maybe 5 strands in each tie off. Glue once you have the knot tight. Then gather another group. Each group can then be gathered into a long thin cone (at differing lengths). Or gathered into a beaded bead cap as Sue suggested. I am thinking it was a Margie Deeb book project that showed it, but like I say.....too many books, too much reading, not enough memory cells. Donna

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 642
shanks wrote
on Apr 16, 2013 2:14 PM

I have not tried it, but using as large of clam shell as possible, get pointed stone grinder for your Dremmel and grind the hole larger in the clam shell. There should be enough metal left to work.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 517
tcwhit wrote
on Apr 17, 2013 5:42 AM

Not sure how this will work, haven't tried it yet: My plan is to take a piece of filigree and shape it into a cone and feeding the strands into it

Not Ranked
Posts 20
on Apr 17, 2013 8:08 AM

Wow I like that idea! I eventually found a huge bead cone that was long and wide enough to fit all 20 strands! Yay!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS