A good travel organizer?

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 47
MigotoChou wrote
on Apr 12, 2013 1:05 PM

Can anyone recommend a good travel case/organizer for beading? We are going to be traveling here in the next few weeks, and I wanted to take some beady things with me!

Amanda

MigotoChou

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bcarter905 wrote
on Apr 12, 2013 1:36 PM

A shoe box top and bead mat.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 12, 2013 1:54 PM

Amanda, get thee to a Fire Mountain catalog............they have the most amazing and huge selection of travel ideas ever. Even if just for ideas, it is great. I get stuff from them in a few days, so maybe you could even order from them. Or search out a fishing dept. in a store for containers, but most of them that I've looked at are for flies and they do NOT seal well enough for beads. Also depends on if you are going by car or plane or whatever as to how compact it needs to be.

I carry with me, a tote (microfiber with a good lining, about 12" tall x 14" wide and sturdy straps) that is just big enough to fit plastic pencil boxes in, I have one permanent pencil box for my "tools" and it holds amost everything I would need and a tin of Altoids......a "habit" of mine. In my pencil box right this minute is: an old meds container with various used needles, a cone of Nymo D in a baggie with the end sticking out, a tape measure, one plier, one scissor, one cutter, four packages of new needles, beeswax, thread heaven, several thread stoppers pair of fancy embroidery scissors, cloth for cleaning my glasses, tea bag (Yogi Egyptian Licorice), a peyote cheater starter strip, a pen, emery board, two scoopers for beads, an awl (for knots when they do happen), and three rigid 6" rulers (metal with cork back, clear pink plastic, clear magnifier plastic, and a worry bead. If I am not using Nymo for a project, I swap that out for a spool of Fireline. 

Then, stacked into the tote are other pencil boxes with projects and bead mats in them. I can slide in magazines or books and my tea brewing to go cup. 

For other projects, I have Craft Mate folders that each contain 4 strips of 7 containers each all held securely and a pocket for a pattern. One of my best pals has one of those pull along thingies that is made for beads (from FMG) and it carries a ton of stuff, like when she is doing a class as an instructor. 

Happy travels.................. Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 47
MigotoChou wrote
on Apr 12, 2013 2:53 PM

Donna, this is great information!  Thank you so much for sharing!

I love the idea of putting the cone of Nymo in a bag.  That can serve at least two purposes - keeping it clean, and keeping it from unraveling everywhere.  I still use the small rolls of Nymo if I'm not using Fireline, but they would find perfectly into the little 2x3 baggies!

Now that I am thinking about it...  I may have a tote bag that I could use.  I would have to dig it out of storage. Ugh.  But if I can find it, all I would need to do is find some boxes to actually organize what I bring.

It is one of those Eagle brand totes:

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Eagle-Knitters-Tote-Craft-Organizer/3344318/product.html

But mine is not the knitting one.  I can't find a photo of the one I have, but I think it might work!  I'll have to look at it again in person to decide if it is too bulky.  We are driving, so space isn't a huge issue, but I still don't want to have to carry around anything too clunky.

Wow!  I was just browsing FMG, and they do have some great stuff!

I found this company:

http://www.beadstoragesolutions.com/index.php

Those look really nice for travel.

I've tried using fishing tackle boxes, but you're right, most of them are really not good for beads.  A lot of those plastic boxes do not have the curved edges, and like you said, they do not shut tightly enough.  It's too bad though because they have so many different sizes!

I checked at Michael's a couple of weeks ago, but the organizer I was trying to look at literally fell apart on me!  All I did was open the lid! lol  That was a larger plastic bead buddy type organizer though.  I do like their smaller cloth ones.  I may look into that as well for a smaller option than the Eagle tote.

Whew!  So many fun options!

Thanks again for the help, Donna!  Looks like I'm going to be doing some shopping this weekend!

Amanda

MigotoChou

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 13, 2013 12:59 AM

Amanda, Here's my tote, it holds 4 pencil boxes stacked and my insulated tea glass. I have others, but some are too big, some bulky and I changed off until I got to this one and it stuck, it's my fave and rarely do I need to schlep more than what fits in here. My tool box is to the right of it sitting my my messy desk top. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 2
boogerzee wrote
on May 4, 2013 3:03 AM

Messy???  Huh? Big Smile

Heidi

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on May 4, 2013 12:12 PM

Heidi, well.........the real messy doesn't show much, but all that stuff on top of the white stackers is stuff that should have been put away from past projects, can you say lazy? Also to the right of the picture is a stack of books and things that are also to be put away. Sometimes I get on a jag and get it all cleaned up and it looks grand for as long as it takes me to begin a new project. There are drawers and containers for all that stuff, it just hasn't quite gotten there yet and I pulled a bunch of beads for a project and now I am at a loss as to what the project was, now that is bad because it means it has been there for a while. 

I am starting a loom project at the end of this month, after I struggle to make things for the Wedding Jewelry Challenge here on BD. My loom just barely does not fit on the work surface, so I have to put everything away and move two of those stacking units to make a gap. I am sort of obsessive and compulsive and want to know where everything is, so this sort of mess makes me crazed and when it gets to that point I take the time and clean it all. So for me, yes messy. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on May 5, 2013 10:30 PM

I find, for traveling, I plan my projects. I use the pencil boxes, Glue the Bead mat to the inside lids.

I can put 3 to 6 projects in quart zip lock bags. Along with the pattern)

I transfer beads from tubes to 2x3 plastic zip lock bags, (my traveling beading kits are a life saver on the road)

They fit nicely in a Pencil box. I use a rubber band to secure the box once its full . (if the box is dropped, the bags wont roll all over the place:)I can take as many projects as I can to ensure, I dont run out of things to do.

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS