Paper beads

This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 7
SueMay100 wrote
on Apr 10, 2013 3:41 PM

I have looked a bit around the forum, and decided that this might be the place to ask.

My daughter has been doing quilling for a few years, and just started making paper beads.  I am looking for ideas to help her take them to the next level.  Do you know what kind of sealer is the most durable, and what kinds of patterns work well with a combination of paper beads and glass or metal beads?

So far she has made one necklace, but she has already got questions about the strength of the beading threads, and the durability of the paper beads.

Also, since she and I are true crafters and we can't just work on one project at a time, we are looking for hints on 3d beading.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 47
MigotoChou wrote
on Apr 26, 2013 5:53 PM

For the paper beads, use a good outdoor varnish to coat and protect them.  It's also fun to add glitter to the varnish!

What paper designs to use will depend on the shape of the paper before rolling.  For example, if you are using triangle paper pieces to roll, those get pretty distorted when finished, so you would look for colors that you liked as opposed to a design you liked.  But if you are rolling rectangular pieces of paper to make a sort of tube, you can see the design fairly well depending on how large the bead and design are.  As far as the type of paper, anything that you can roll up into a bead is perfect!

You didn't mention what you are stringing them on, but any good Beadalon or Tigertail type string should work fine since the paper beads are pretty lightweight!

For 3D beading, I recommend you look up Katie Dean. :)

Amanda

MigotoChou

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Apr 26, 2013 9:24 PM

Yay! Another paper beader! Well your daughter is anyways!

I make them too, they're fun and relaxing, and a good way to recycle. I've started using them in my jewelry, thought I'm not an expert at jewerly making, I do love to experiment!

Most important things to remember about paper beads are:

1. Never use wire of any kind. It will saw through your beads in no time. If still wanting to use wire, buy some hollow lolly pop sticks, they're made of thick plastic and can be found in a sweet/cake making shop. Before rolling, add double sided tape, or a kind of plastic glue, then use the pop stick to roll the paper on it. Your beads will last longer and won't be eaten by the wire. If you use pva glue, the paper will not stick to the plastic.

2. Before you glaze, buy a packet of satay sticks or wooden skewers. Cut in half, sharpen a blunt end. Dip the newly sharpened end in vaseline, or olive oil. Pop your bead on the oily end, dip into glaze, tap the stick on the side of the jar, so there's not much dripping glaze, and stab the pointy end into a piece of foam. Make sure its upright as can be, cos any drips will stay on the bead and create a pregnant look!

3. Glaze. The all important shininess! I use Triple Thick Glaze. You don't have to use the same glaze as me, I like this glaze as its super shiny when dry. The shine or sheen is very glossy, like a glass bead. The trick is to dip the beads, not paint them. I dip 3 times in between drying times. 

4. Remember that brushing the glaze on, creates a matte look, whilst dipping into the glaze creates a glossy look.

5. Use good quality paper unless you like thin flimsy beads. I use scrapbooking paper, quilling paper, magazine covers, book cover and sometimes, depending on the quality of the paper, the pages as well! I've even used card stock and Japanese origami paper!

6. For decorating papers, use waterproof marker pens, wax crayons or oil pastels. Or anything else that is not water based. You don't want the colors to bleed when you put the glaze on.

7. Last tip, buy a set of bigger sized paper rollers. Some Quilling tools won't take thicker weight papers and card stock.

I hope this helps. It's what I found to work best for me. You might find other tips elsewhere, I'm just sharing what I know.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Apr 26, 2013 9:34 PM

Here is a photo of my wire jig that I "modified"! And yes, that is a Quilling tool. I have many as I used to do Quilling too. I did that for around 15 years. Just small things to sell to my family and friends. But I've found something way more fun, Bead looming! Stick out tongue

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Apr 26, 2013 9:39 PM

And here are some beads, that I've glazed 3 times with Triple Thick Glaze. Just to give you an idea of how it looks like.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 155
trayck wrote
on Apr 27, 2013 12:59 AM

Wow, those beads are gorgeous Blue!

Now I've got another beading/craft thing I want to to and not enough time to do it all in.

Hmm wonder if DH would get a second job so I don't have to work and can spend more time (and money) doing these things.

T

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 237
beadinstyle wrote
on Apr 27, 2013 3:40 AM

Wow ... gorgeous beads, and great tips. I love it when I click on a post and this kind of amazing info pops up. To say nothing of looking at some unique and lovely new beads. Thanks heaps!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Apr 27, 2013 9:46 PM

Thnx! I'm always happy to share my craft experiments. Another thing is, you can add a bead cap or fancy bead to hide the bead holes, if yours have turned out really ugly!

How to use them is another story. You can use them in place of other beads. For example, if the pattern says to use pearls, then swap over and use your paper beads.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on May 23, 2013 4:28 AM

I used glass beads and crystal beads and I rarely used this kind of paper beads. They look pretty.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on May 25, 2013 10:49 PM

Another thing I forgot to mention, do not use glue based glazes like Mod Podge, Diamond Glaze, or any other product that's a "glue and a sealer", to seal/glaze your beads. Once dry they are ok, but in hot weather, they will stick to each other. Even if you let it cure overnight or over a week, once its a hot day, they will all clump together and the beads will feel a little sticky to touch.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
Uggie wrote
on Jun 29, 2013 12:43 AM

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I'm a complete paper bead fanatic also. The triple thick glaze by decoart is really good sealer and, tried two coats of it on my paper beads and strung them into bracelets and, given them to my step sisters. They had been wearing the bracelets for about two months now, swimming and all. The paper beads still look like they are in mint condition just that the varnish looks bit matte now. I really LOVE this glaze! I also roll mine from a paper bead roller I got from a kit by Klutz, and use a paper trimmer to cut all my strips. It's alot faster and precise than using ordinary scissors; and if trying roll very thick paper strips and they start cracking peeling apart, good thing is get like a paper towel and get it wet with super hot water, rinse most it out and then put it in a container with the paper strips with it and put lid on it. The humidity created would help make the paper strips roll better. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
vandana22 wrote
on Jun 29, 2013 9:24 AM

Thanks all of u for sharing such useful informations.. I too had many questions which have there answers now...thanks once again Smile

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Jul 1, 2013 11:15 PM

Another good way to condition thicker paper or card stock prior to rolling, is to run a pencil or your quilling tool along the length of the paper strip. This will help tougher paper to curl nicer.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 33
JanetWinslet wrote
on Jul 22, 2013 12:48 AM

Beautiful beads, and great tips!!!

Cooperate with nbeads affiliate ,earn high commission!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Jeannette@18 wrote
on Apr 11, 2014 2:42 PM

Question, I think that is a coiling gizmo.  Am I right?  If so did you roll your paper on it, not sure how you used it?  Also question please, your beads are beautiful.  I am making hundreds of paper beads for children in South America.  I wanted something nice for mothers, so am making beads for them also.  How do you get then ends cut straight after you take them off roller.  I am slow and carful, but some beads have a ragged edge.  How do you cut them?  Thanks for the tip on glazing.  I did not think of hot weather, (just rain) and these beads will be going where it is hot and humid.  Any suggestions are gratefully appreciated. Jeannette     Also how did you make you saucer beads?  I have been using waxed cord to string beads with knots after them, adding other beads with a smaller paper bead.  This helps me as I color coordinate the wax's cord with main color of beads.  No clasp and elastic does not break.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS