Flat Spiral stitch?

This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 531
on Apr 10, 2013 10:29 AM

What is the best way where I could get directions or learn how to flat spiral stitch?

gracias!

Angela Vasquez

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,904
SEllen 2 wrote
on Apr 10, 2013 11:34 AM

Angela

I learned it at the Aunties Beads site. Go to the Karla Kam Video instructions. They even have a video that shows how to do a second row. The video shows her hands real well so it makes it easy to catch on.

I DO NOT profit from this site in anyway. It's just how I learned the stitch.

I hope you will show us what you're working on when you get it finished.

Good Luck & Happy BeadingBig Smile

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,354
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 10, 2013 1:55 PM

Flat spiral is so cool. After struggling to master spirals, I then stumbled onto the flat spiral and fell over. There was a flat spiral in one of the bead mags also which is where I saw it. I've wondered though, if you do a wild Cellini will you be able to sew it up or will the tension be too much? I am already in the middle of three projects, but this is something I've wondered about since seeing flat spiral the first time. Anybody done one yet?  Donna

P.S.: just went and looked up that video........not the flat spiral that I was thinking of, I remembered a regular spiral looking pattern, like a conservative Cellini spiral that was done on the flat and then just laced up. I'm going to go look for that bead mag..............

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 514
tcwhit wrote
on Apr 10, 2013 5:58 PM

Donna - I'd like to see what you're talking about, too. I'm confused. Perhaps what I'm thinking of as a flat spiral isn't flat spiral at all.

TC

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,354
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 10, 2013 6:21 PM

TC, what Suz referred to is actually called flat spiral. I am going to have to go through my old mags for that page. I went through all the ones I had markers on but I either didn't mark it or the marker came off. I just use little tab style post its, so sometimes they take a beating then come off. Or I get crazed and pull one off and put it on another article in the same mag................why oh why........... 

Anyway, I will find it because it is interesting. The pattern is like flat peyote but with the different beads like you were going around in a circle like doing a regular cellini spiral, you go from the small ones up to the "ridge" bead and back down in one row and the next row you offset the pattern by one bead. Then when you are done you just sew the thing up. 

Actually, now that I have conquered Cellini (by starting them over and over and over....good practice used up string, recycled the beads) I might not use that method. Oh, and it probably wouldn't work with a pattern with wildly differing sizes (maybe) because of the tension issue. Then again I may be over thinking it. 

I WILL find that article.......even if I could remember if it was Beadwork or B&B it would help since I now have many years of both. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,354
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 10, 2013 6:30 PM

OK, I just LUUUUV google..........got it. It was the October 2010 B&B mag. It was in the stitch workshop feature by Anna Elizabeth Draeger and was called Cellini Sampler. She actually does NOT lace up the flat one, but it certainly occurred to me as I looked at her article that it could be laced up and worn as a real spiral. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,904
SEllen 2 wrote
on Apr 10, 2013 10:43 PM

Donna

There is a You Tube video for Flat Cellini Spiral that the folks from Off the Beaded Path made showing how to do the stitch. I still haven't recovered from doing the Tubular cellini spiral. I got sooo frustrated but finally got it finished. But I'm just not ready to try cellini again. Even though the flat version doesn't look as confusing to me.

I'll have to check and see if I can find a back copy of the B&B mag and see if their instructions are clearer than the ones I have.

Have a good evening.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,354
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 11, 2013 12:42 AM

The first Cellini I ever did was by taking a class at our local bead store. Great instructor. Then some time passed and I did a lot of other stuff........our local Bead Society ladies wanted to learn how to do it and so we all brought beads and spent one meeting working on it. I got real confused because the person who taught it at Bead Society did it differently as far as starting it. So then I tore it out and remade it three times that evening alone, went home and tore it out another couple of times Now I Are An Expert............LOL. 

One of the things that my original instructor did was make it odd count, that way you never have to remember where to step up (I hate having to step up, so all my tubular things are odd count). With odd count you just keep going in circles and that makes it much easier,  you just keep adding the same bead you came out of and go until it is long enough. 

The same instructor taught a flat spiral, but didn't name it, it is still one of my fave bracelets. I used a matte transparent light brown for the core and the flats were a matte coral delica with a rosaline Czech faceted oval. Anyway, I only this last year found out it was called flat spiral. Have fun. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 192
on Apr 11, 2013 2:43 AM

For clarification, here is a flat spiral (actually a double):
And here is a flat Cellini:

Both great stitches!

- Allie & Nathan
Potomac Bead Company

www.potomacbeads.com
Buy Online: www.thebeadco.com 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 514
tcwhit wrote
on Apr 11, 2013 6:14 PM

Thank you. The first image is exactly what I thought it was. Flat spiral. The second image? Looks more to me like a nightmare waiting to happen. Thanks for the clarification!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS