how do you work with15/0 seed beads?

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 9
murralis wrote
on Apr 5, 2013 2:59 PM

I am new to beading however I have learned to do most of the beading stitches. The problem I am having is seeing the 15/0 seed beads. I ordered a pattern and it is a long rope all done in 15/0  CRAW. I have an optivisor. What other things would work better? Any tips wound be greatly appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,482
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 5, 2013 6:05 PM

Did you get the Optivisor with three sets of lenses? I fiddled with mine until I decided which one was the best for me and it was not the strongest. One thing you might think about is raising the surface of your work area. Like maybe a 3" tall box with a bead mat stuck onto it. That will get those pesky beads closer to your eyes and visor.

On the other hand, even before my eye surgery when I couldn't see well, I was able to continue to bead with small beads......I really wasn't seeing each individual bead, but would jab my beading needle into a pile of the right color and usually one of the little devils would jump on and then be attached to my work. So don't over stress the need to see each bead super cliear. On a bead mat the hole will show up fairly clearly. 

I also have a friend who uses one of those circular lamps with a magnifier in the center and it is horrid for most beading. She originally used it to paint tiny pictures but with the beads she'd have to look through it and around it to find the right bead..........the optivisor is a better solution because it is attached to your head and by moving your head  you can see  your work, the pattern, the piles of colored beads, etc. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 9
murralis wrote
on Apr 7, 2013 12:45 AM

Yes, I have 4 different lens powers. I had eye surgery and now have a time with dry eyes and Iritis. Thank you for the suggestion about raising the surface, that helps a lot and helps my neck and back.I am ordering a bed tray from Amazon. (using a cardboard box nowSmile). Also how long dose it take you to finish your average beaded project, like a necklace

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,482
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 7, 2013 1:02 AM

M: I have the same problem the iritis can come from a "rebound" from the germs under your eyelids....yucky thought. I went back to the doc who did the surgery and he put me back on the cortisteroid drops again for another 4 weeks, tapering off the whole time. That should kick it for sure. For the dry eyes when you are done with the iritis, there is a gel eye drop, Refreshe which is just wonderful. I used that for relief until I got back in to see doc. 

I rarely work on one item, so it is hard to tell. I just finished a bracelet about 6-1/2" long x 1" wide all square stitched in a very wild pattern and it only took me a week of working between eye drops......LOL, I rarely make necklaces as I don't wear them as a rule. I mostly do large loomed pictures..........birds, flowers, dogs, etc. and it is hard to judge because I'll take a break and work on something else just to get away from it. I have a drawer of UFO's (unfinished objects) and any time I need to look at some different color I can haul something out of there. I just finished a Chan Luu bracelet using beads that I bought but had no clue what to do with, that was all of two evenings. The more you work with beads, the easier it gets and the faster it goes. If I make a mistake, I will pull the item apart to fix it because I always see the mistake. I also have three big dogs who demand some of my time, so always breaks for dog play time. Donna

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS