Never used a loom before- pattern questions!

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 149
xXfantasyXx wrote
on Apr 2, 2013 12:04 AM

Hello,

I've wanted, for awhile, to start beading on a loom.  I want to do amulet bags and big projects like portraits. 

(I hope these aren't dumb questionsHuh?): How do you make your own patterns? -and-  How do you re-create a picture with beads?  Could someone explain all the little details about making patterns, for big & small projects?.

Thank you,

~Grace~

Do your best & let God do the restSmile

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Apr 2, 2013 7:29 PM

Grace:  There are several threads that deal with your questions (not dumb, by-the-way).  I haven't loomed in quite awhile, but some of your questions could be answered by those that do off-loom bead weaving.  Wish you all the best -- have fun with your new venture.

Ottercat Coffee

04-02-13 (1728 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,355
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 2, 2013 8:56 PM

Grace, there are not enough electrons in the world to explain ALL the little details to you. But here is some basic information to get you started. There are numerous ways to generate patterns like from purchased software which you would want when you get to doing the big portraits, it makes life much nicer.

But for starters and to design your own items like amulet bags, find a template on the net for the stitch (loom) and bead size (whatever you decide on) and download it  These can be found in many places and normally free. Have some printed on transparent sheets. Mark the sheet off in the size you want the bag to be, a front and back if the pattern will be on both or just a front if the back will be plain. Put the sheet over the pattern you have created (painting, sketch, photo, etc.) and mark the little cells with the color that is in the original picture. You will need a good selection of markers or colored pencils to do this.

You now have a pattern you can follow on your loom. A VERY good beginner loom book is by Alexandra Kidd, "The Beginners Guide to Beading on a Loom"............ it is truly for a beginner and will walk you through all the steps for warping up the loom and she then takes you on a detailed (NINE page) tutorial for your first project. Nine pages with photos and word descriptions all over them. A marvelous book and seriously recommended to any beginner I've helped out. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Apr 3, 2013 10:15 PM

You can use any patterns that are written for square stitch and cross stitch. And any type of sewing that has a square by square graph pattern.

I use WinGimp and then just zoom up until the image is pixelated. Professionals like Erin, use BeadTool4, but since I never stick with the image's colors, it doesn't bother me to not have the list of delica colors like in BT4. And also the fact, I don't really work in #11, I use #8 and bigger beads to loom with.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Apr 11, 2013 4:07 AM

For your beginer,you can start with this book  "The Beginners Guide to Beading on a Loom",it will teach you step by step.Take it easy,you can do it Stick out tongue

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 149
xXfantasyXx wrote
on Apr 11, 2013 11:03 PM

Thank you for answering my questionsSmile  Those are very helpful replies!

I'll have to check out that book you two( Donna & Caroline king) mentioned.

Thank you again,

~Grace~

Do your best & let God do the restSmile

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS