attaching posts (stud earrings)

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
oilnwine wrote
on Mar 24, 2013 7:25 PM

Hi Everyone,

So sorry for my long absence! I have a question for you all. What if I wanted to make some earrings (beaded, gems, etc.) and attach them to a post. How would I go about doing that? Would I need to glue it and if so, what kind of glue? 

TIA

Maddy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,465
D.M.Z wrote
on Mar 24, 2013 7:49 PM

Maddy, most post earring findings come with a cup into which you glue (E6000) a stone or pearl or whatever or they come with a ball or some sort of widget with a small hook below, to which you add a jump ring and then your creation.

So it sort of depends, if your beaded earring that you make has a larger bead or pearl on top you could use the cup style, if it is all beaded like a flower or some such item, you'd probably attach a jump ring and use the other type of finding.

Try looking at Fire Mtn and do a look up for earstuds........you'll see the wide variety. Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
oilnwine wrote
on Mar 25, 2013 1:05 PM

Thanks, Donna! I think what I need is the flat one. I wanted to make circular beaded earrings but attach them to studs rather than ear wires. Kinda like what you see at my friend's site, TowerOfBeads.

~Maddy

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 539
shanks wrote
on Mar 25, 2013 3:50 PM

Hi Maddy,

For a stronger attachment a two part epoxy is the strongest.  I suggest wiping each surface off with a nail polish remover or Acetone, basically the same product, to remove any oils from the fingers.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,465
D.M.Z wrote
on Mar 25, 2013 6:12 PM

Maddy, I ditto shanks choice of 2 part epoxy over E6000 after looking at the sizes of Tower's earrings. They ARE totally cool though, but not what I had been thinking of at all. Tower's are much larger and more impressive and would weigh a bit more than what I was envisioning. Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
oilnwine wrote
on Mar 26, 2013 3:46 PM

Thanks, Donna & Shanks!!!

I will definitely look for that epoxy.

~Maddy

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS