Hello from Manawatu, New Zealand!

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Alisonbm wrote
on Mar 24, 2013 3:23 PM

Hi there all the way from drought stricken New Zealand.

I have loved jewellery all my life and periodically dabbled in making it, being a great collector of beads etc since I was a teenager. Way back then I remember making chokers with velvet ribbon and a fancy button, and stringing seed beads for miles to make "love beads"necklaces and bracelets. Forward 40 years and I have made pendants out of this and that, made a few necklaces for myself, and made the necklaces and bracelets for my daughters bridesmaids 2 years ago. I also made the corsages for myself and the mother of the groom adding in wired crystals.

I have been going through a bit of a tough time lately and not been doing much of anything. On Pinterest one day recently I saw some nice beaded items and it got me to thinking that maybe I could get more into my beading and jewellery making and yesterday I made my first Tree of Life pendant, and even though its not perfect I love it to bits. My niece saw it while I was making it and asked if I could make a couple of items for a couple of little girls that she buys for their birthdays, ages 4 & 6. I have no idea what to make and also no idea how to charge, so 2 questions:

Any idea what I could make for the two girls? and how do I calculate how much to charge for items?

Glad to be here and thanks in advance,

Alison

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Mar 26, 2013 3:08 AM

Welcome Alison!! Glad that you are here, and sorry to hear about the tough time you have been through, hope everything would go smooth as soon as possible. :)

As for the idea that you want make for the two girls, you can chose some relatively bigger items than daily wearing jewelry, cause they are too small to wear any small jewelry, in my opinion, owl beaded bags, hair ornaments or writing case can be good choices for them for safety's sake. When it comes to the the price, you can calculate your thread and beads costs and the time invested to settle the final price that you thought would be perfect (r perhaps you can refer to the similar price on ebay or amazon, which might be a good choice). 

Have a nice day! :)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Mar 26, 2013 6:19 AM

Hello and welcome. I sure hope your water problems get sorted out soon.

Little kids and beads: Not a great mix. I have found that one of the little girls in our family she is 5 years old) loves a beaded amulet bag I made. She wears it as a necklace whenever her mother allows it. There is no fringe on it, and it's on a chain, not a beaded cord.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS