Hi To All ......

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
camoducksma wrote
on Mar 21, 2013 11:22 PM

My name is Lori, from a very small town in Northern California called Washington. I was introduced to beading about 13 yrs ago by my sister, ( which is about the same time I moved here ). The first thing I ever made was a bellydance belt. Not like the elaborate ones on the internet but it was very nice. I have been making jewelry sets that I sell out of the store I work at here in town. Recently I have been trying my hand at bead embroidery and ooohhhh the possibilities :-). I fell in love with beading all over again. I see color and design everywhere! While we were at dinner last weekend, my boyfriend made a suggestion that I should stay home and bead full time and sell it on the internet. Being a single mom this is a tough decision as I will have to be able to still support me and my son. I am very interested in getting it started but don't know how to do this. The pieces I make never last more than a day or two at the store and when telling friends of this idea they tell me I should be taking pictures of everything I make ( which I have not been doing....so far). Any suggestions or helpful tidbits?

Happy to have found this forum :-)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,269
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 22, 2013 7:28 AM

Hi Lori, 

Welcome to the forum, we have a friendly helpful group here. 

I think if I were you, before I left my full time job, I would get myself established on either, Art Fire, or Etsy. I would stay completely away from e-bay. E-bay is so overloaded with artisan jewelry  that none of it  is selling, unless it is dirt cheap. So after you pay your fees you have nothing left for a profit, in fact you may even have gone in the hole.

What you plan on doing is doable, many are doing it, but unless you have another source of income, I would get my feet wet a little at a time. It is tough to break into this type of home based business, many have tried and only few have actually made a decent living at it. 

This is just my opinion, but a bird in the hand it worth two in the bush, and right now your job is paying your bills.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
camoducksma wrote
on Mar 22, 2013 6:31 PM

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your advice, my thoughts exactly. In fact I just received a book on Etsy this afternoon. I am also thinking of entering contests. Sounds like a lot of fun :-).

Lori

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 149
Handcrafted wrote
on Mar 23, 2013 11:00 AM

Hi Lori and welcome,

I am UK based so things are a little bit differnet than with you but I would advice that you got yourself established online and build up your business before you give up your job.

I had my website for 7 years before I gave up working on anything else. 

It does take time and it is very competitive selling handmade jewellery and you do not always get the money back for the time and effort you put into it.

I am not saying not go for it because you should but  be aware that it can take time to build up a customer base.

You are lucky that you have somewhere at the moment to sell, it could be a good idea to set up a small onilne store and have some cards printed so when you sell your pieces you can pass on your site address so they can come back to shop for more.

Good luck with your jewellery selling and I am sure that you will do fine. 

Handmade jewellery designs found here

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS