hello from sunny australia

This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
becf wrote
on Mar 17, 2013 1:00 AM

Hi i hope this goes in the right spot..ive got first post jitters. ive been beading around 3 years i started off doing cross stitch and joan elliott's beautiful designs that featured beads got me hunting through the bead aisle of my local sewing/craft shop. I started stringing and wirework was my favourite for the first 18mths but unfortunately my carpal tunnel made it too painful to cross stitch or do wirework but that was ok because I finally had time to play with the pretty seed beads. I quickly found out it's worth paying for decent seed beads- once i opened 2 tubes of cheap seeds and the colour instantly rubbed off on my fingers. My favourites are toho and gem stone cabachons.

It's really hard to get beading mags here only 2 newsagents stock beadwork & bead&button that i know of and they each only get 2 and it always seems i miss out on something gorgeous like the eye of the twister or the star beaded bead. i was readiing the forums about the twister bracelet I'm going to have another crack at twisted herringbone anyway Mine shows heaps of thread I dont think that's right..beadweaving isn't very well known in Aust or Canberra where I live. I have to buy all my beads overseas or pay top top dollar but as soon as i get really good i'll have a monopoly on the market. I find it kind of annoying actually that people expect me to go into business..each piece takes around aweek with usually a full evening spent selecting colour that i change as soon as i see it in day light. Well ive taken up enough space and enough of your time..any beaders in canberra? i would love to start a beading group I live near civic We could meet in the library! (canberra is small) bec

Not Ranked
Posts 19
on Mar 17, 2013 7:14 AM

Hi  Becf,

(Sorry, I seem to be unable to work out your name) I'm new here as well, but welcome.

I'm thinking to subscribe for a couple of beading magazines, that I don't have to look for them once they are out. I used to get one, American mazagine, don't remember which one it was, but it was very convenient getting it by mail.

Have a lovely Sunday!             

Valentina

London, UK, Europe

www.yashmacreations.etsy.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Mar 17, 2013 7:15 PM

Welcome, becf!  You'll find that we're a friendly and helpful beading community.  Take time to read through the forums -- there's lots of helpful information, free projects, and more.  If you can't find what your looking for, just ask -- someone will help.  No pressure -- not everyone is in business, or does the same type of beading; world wide membership.  Hope you find another countryman close (I'm stateside (USA)).  Oh, bye-the-bye -- your personal information (name, etc.) is your business; give out only what you're comfortable with.  Again, welcome to the community!

Ottercat Coffee

03-17-13 (1715 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 159
on Mar 17, 2013 9:19 PM

hello Becf! I'm from the Central Coast of NSW, is that close and neighbourly enough?

Not Ranked
Posts 6
becf wrote
on Mar 19, 2013 3:00 AM

Yeah it will do. are you lucky enough to live near mogo? i love the bead shop there. actually that's the south coast on 2nd thoughts Thanks for the welcome everybody!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 149
Handcrafted wrote
on Mar 21, 2013 4:39 PM

Hello and welcome,

firstly how I envy you your sunshine as I sit in a cold and snowing UK.

This is a very friendly forum and there is always someone around that will have an answer to your questions. 

My craft is jewellery making but I admire the beading work so much that the ladies create, I work with semi-precious stones but I love to sit down and have a look at what everyone is doing they are so clever.

I hope to see you around. 

Handmade jewellery designs found here

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS