How to do a peyote from a cross stitch chart

This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Mar 14, 2013 6:03 PM

I have lots of cross stitch charts that would be so fun to do in the peyote. How do you do that with the peyote chart so different from the cross stitch chart?

Kathy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 14, 2013 6:38 PM

I believe that as long as their are no half stitches, you can transfer the design using peyote graph paper. I just recently did a small book mark with a church on it. It turned out just fine. 

Download some peyote graph paper and give it a try, you have nothing to lose except some time and a piece of paper. You can download the paper from the toolbar above. Look under "Free Resources"  click on " Techniques, Tool, and How to Articles. You will find the brick- peyote stitch graph paper there. But I did the work for you. Here's the link.

http://www.beadingdaily.com/media/ui/tips/brickstitchpeyote.pdf

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Mar 15, 2013 8:02 AM

For some reason I can not open the free resources tab. Is it down?

I'm curious to find out how you change from cross stitch to peyote with the charting.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 15, 2013 9:36 AM

I am fairly new at this myself, but I would say, just play with it. First find the middle of both your cross stitch chart and your peyote graph. Start there. your cross stitch design must only incorporate whole stitches, for there is not way that I have figured out how to do half stitches. You may have to fudge your design somewhat, but not enough to make a huge difference in the design.  

You can also find free downloadable graph paper at http://bead-patterns.com/

If someone else has more experience with this please chime in, we would all like to know how you do it.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Mar 16, 2013 3:08 PM

Has anyone done this? I am very interested in trying this. Do you have to rechart on a peyote chart from a cross stitch? How would you go about doing that?

Like Sue said would love to hear from those that have done this.

Kathy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 583
Beadiecat wrote
on Mar 18, 2013 2:53 PM

I'm thinking that unless you want to re-chart the whole thing, cross-stitch wouldn't really transfer well to peyote stitch. You could do a cross-stitch pattern easily in square stitch or on a loom.

One other suggestion I have read but not tried yet was this: Hold the chart diagonally, and do the pattern in right-angle-weave, treating a group of four stitches as one four-bead stitch. It seems to me that would work.

Cat

The Cat's Meow Blog

My RebelMouse page and Etsy shop

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 18, 2013 3:11 PM

I have taken the cross stitch chart and transferred it to a peyote graph. I will send the design to to and you try it, but I have to wait till I get home. I have the design on my laptop.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Mar 19, 2013 12:10 PM

Sue that would be wonderful thank you

Kathy

Not Ranked
Posts 6
beadedrose wrote
on Mar 19, 2013 11:11 PM

Years ago I saw how to do this on a beaders website but can't remember where.  If I remember correctly, you turn the cross stich so a corner faces you. Then you copy from that chart to a peyote graph. When you turn the cross stitch pattern that way, the stitches should be just like peyote. I hope this helps.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 25, 2013 1:55 PM

Stitchingirl, I sent you an e-mail through the site so that I can get your e-mail address. I need it to e-mail you the cross stitch/ peyote stitch bookmark.  If you send me something though the site, I will send off the design right away.

Remember, this piece hasn't been tested yet for accuracy. If you find any mistakes I am sorry. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Mar 26, 2013 9:40 AM

Hi Sue emailed you.

Kathy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 27, 2013 4:08 PM

Kathy,

I sent two different e-mails. one has the peyote design in both graph and word. and the other has the picture of the cross stitch pattern.

Sue

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Mar 27, 2013 5:08 PM

Thanks so much Sue, I will check my email. Do you have a program to do this? If so what program do you have and use?

Kathy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 27, 2013 6:20 PM

Kathy

I have the old "Easy Bead Patterns", it was the first one he did copyrighted 2006-2007. I like the old one compared to the newer one, because, you can send the design to word and it does the word chart.  I haven't found a way to send the design to word in the newer version, so I keep the old version on my laptop. And I am not sorry I did that. 

You can download the newer program at easybeadpatterns.com

If you download this and can figure out a way to send it to word so that you can have the word chart, do me a favor and explain it to me, otherwise I am keeping the older version. 

Sue

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS