Attaching waxed linen to clasps

This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
on Mar 8, 2013 3:21 PM

What is the best way to attach waxed linen thread to a clasp or other metal component, like a decorative ring? I need a secure, attractive finish because I make jewelry to sell.

Thanks!

Kim

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 642
shanks wrote
on Mar 10, 2013 8:47 PM

I am not sure as to the question you are asking and since no one else has answered they may not understand either.  Are you asking about finishing a bracelet or necklace using waxed linen as the stinging material and how too tie a clasp? Maybe what knot to use or a bead cap?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
on Mar 11, 2013 7:40 PM

Thanks for your response. I have considered using a knot cover (clamshell), which works for stringing lightweight beads. But I am afraid that they won't work for stringing heavier beads. I did find one alternative from a book on using cord, leather, and fiber for jewelry making that I'm going to try.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
on Mar 11, 2013 7:42 PM

Yes, I am looking for ways to attach knotted beads using waxed linen to clasps. I need something secure and attractive, especially for necklaces or bracelets with heavier or larger beads.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 642
shanks wrote
on Mar 11, 2013 8:34 PM

If using a (clamshell) you can use a 15/0 seed bead and tie the thread to the bead, put the glue on. No way will the bead come out the small hole

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
on Mar 12, 2013 6:00 AM

Great! Thank you!

Not Ranked
Posts 19
on Mar 17, 2013 7:54 AM

Hi guys,

what lovely stuff you have in your Etsy shop! I've got an Etsy shop as well.

I love working with waxed thread, but the finishing part is always challenging. I make dangles whenever possible with the thread ends. You can also use quality large double loop clamshells (which I always struggle to find) with a bead and a little bit of glue as someone else already suggested. You also can tie/ knot the ends and hide this very last piece into a small attractive bead cap. I also find it very helpful to use some beads which I pull my ends through and tie a knot very close to a bead surface. By doing it I use up all the ending threads, plus add a little detail around the clasp.

In my last bracelet I had 11 thread ends on every bracelet end to hide, so I put a bead on every end and a knot to secure that bead. I was pleased to see that it actually completed the piece quite well.

But I understand that it isn't possible to put a dangle or a bead on every bracelet. Sometimes a piece desing requires a clean, simple finish.

Please, let me know if you come accross some great tips on how to do that.

Valentina

Valentina

London, UK, Europe

www.yashmacreations.etsy.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 258
beadinstyle wrote
on Mar 17, 2013 9:04 PM

Hi Kim ... I don't know what your jewellery looks like, but I have often wrapped the cord itself into a coil, and pulling the end underneath. This is a natural finish and secures the thread well.Maybe this was the method you were considering above?
And Valentina ... I also know that larger bead tips are difficult to source ... have you any suppliers you can share?
Cheers

Ruth 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
on Mar 18, 2013 7:08 AM

Hi Valentina and Ruth,

Thank you both for your replies. Valentina, one of my concerns with using clamshells is the issue of durability. The ones I've looked at are a bit flimsy. All of your suggestions are great, and I've begun to experiement with knotting the cord ends with beads.

Ruth, I like the finish you suggest. Thanks so much!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
on Mar 18, 2013 7:13 AM

Valentina,

Thanks so much for your reply. I just favorited your shop on etsy. I would love to use clamshells but haven't found any that are sturdy enough. Your other suggestions are great. I just started to work with waxed linen and cord, and since I make jewelry to sell, need to know how to finish pieces securely and in an attractive way.

Kim

Not Ranked
Posts 19
on Mar 19, 2013 2:26 AM

Hi Kim,

I've popped in your shop and your pieces are lovely and jewellery is finished really neatly. Great attention to details as well. Really beautiful stuff. One of your items has been in my favourites for long time.

I think the best clamshells are double looped ones. They come in bigger sizes and I find them more secure. Just make sure that they are  good quality ones, preferably made in USA of brass ( brass is more flexible than alloy). You have more chance to find them in USA as they made there. I'm looking into this issue - to carry good clamshells in my shop's inventory - and I will eventually, but it takes some time to organize it.

I bought some clamshells in the past in London and they were the best ones I've ever used, but they were in a bright silver finish only and now I don't even remember where I bought them from.

I found some on Etsy, a Turkish seller has got them, but I'm not sure about them. If I get some I will let you know of how good they are.

Good luck for now with the finishing touch!

Valentina

London, UK, Europe

www.yashmacreations.etsy.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
on Mar 19, 2013 7:28 AM

Hi Valentina,

Thanks so much for your kind words about my shop. Do let me know if you find the good clamshells.

Your mention of London makes me want to travel. I've visited London several times and have been thinking lately that I'd love to visit again. I just need to sell a whole bunch of beads to finance a trip!

Take care,

Kim

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS