Help with Magnetic clasp please!

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 4
labrador2 wrote
on Mar 4, 2013 5:18 AM

I am making myself a beaded lanyard, Being a nurse I am using a strong magnetic clasp as we are required to have break away lanyards at work. I am having a lot of trouble keeping the clasp on. I have used crimps and have double crimped but every time I close the magnetic clasp and pull it apart the wire (49 strand) comes out and the beads start to fall off. I am new to crimping so maybe that's it. Can anyone share their technique for attaching magnetic clasps so this doesn't happen again?
Thanks!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 567
shanks wrote
on Mar 4, 2013 11:05 AM

Welcome to the forum Big Smile

Here is a link that I am sure would help you,    http://jewelrymaking.about.com/od/beadbasicsforbeginners/a/021008.htm

You need to use the correct size crimp tubes for the wire size you are using. Also use a crimping plier to make a good strong crimp, which is a two step process. Since you seem to be having so much trouble, try using Sterling Silver crimps as well.  Hope this helps.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,488
D.M.Z wrote
on Mar 4, 2013 11:50 AM

Yep, not ok to have beads tumbling all over in your environment.............. I'd not only crimp with sterling tubes, but maybe even double crimp.......two crimps next to each other and a bead cover to boot so it looks nice. For me to pull this off, I'd also get a bit of epoxy glue in on the deal. I'd put some small amount on the wires after the first crimp when there is still a bit more space, then over top and under the crimp cover. Just because I like things bulletproof. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 4
labrador2 wrote
on Mar 4, 2013 3:40 PM

THANK YOU!!!!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS