What kind of paint to use on metal? Can I use acrylics?

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
BeginWithin wrote
on Feb 25, 2013 2:12 PM

Hello!  Just wondering what kind of paint to use on metal findings such as frames and bezels.  I would love to use acrylic as I have a large collection of colors so I wouldn't have to buy something new.  If I can use acrylic, how do I seal it?

Or what other paint should I use on metal?  Thanks!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 559
shanks wrote
on Feb 25, 2013 5:17 PM

Welcome to the forum.

I would think that Acrylic would work just fine. I believe I would bake it on the findings.  Wipe them off with nail polish remover or acetone prior to applying any paint. As for sealer, there may be a clue on the can about that, or contact their web page. I would think that their sales people could best answer that.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Feb 25, 2013 9:23 PM

Acrylics doesn't stick to metals. It will crack and peel off over time.

A much better choice would be enamel or oil paints. Regular painting with thin coats will take approx, 2 weeks to dry. And unless you're doing Impasto paintings, you don't have to worry about buying fast drying mediums. Paint outside, cos you will be using turpentine to thin the paint (if paint inside the fumes will give u a headache),  the paint can also be brush on a little at a time without turpentine, for a thicker coating, and soap and water to wash your brushes.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Feb 25, 2013 10:04 PM

BeginWithin:  I used to paint with both acrylic and oils (watercolor, too) on canvas; used linseed oil to thin oil paint (oil-based) & water to thin acrylic paint (water-based, quick drying) -- oil & water don't mix well; Murphy's Oil Soap to clean my brushes.  Would suggest checking with Artist Daily site (Interweave; use same info to log on that site (can log onto any of the Interweave sites listed at bottom)) and see what they can tell you about oil & acrylic paints (properties, uses, glazes, protection/seals, clean-up).  I would think that acrylic paints (being water-based) may not work well with metal; will peel off smooth surfaces (will bond to a rough surface).  Whatever you decide to do, experiment first on test pieces and in a well ventilated area.  Hope you find something that works to your satisfaction.

Ottercat Coffee

02-25-13 (2004 PST)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Feb 26, 2013 1:32 AM

Oh yes, i forgot about linseed oil. Its been a long time since art school. It smells like fish oil...

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Feb 26, 2013 3:01 AM

blueelephantart:
It smells like fish oil...
  Odd, mine didn't.  Linseed oil can (like all oils) go rancid.

Ottercat Coffee

02-26-13 (0101 PST)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Feb 26, 2013 6:30 AM

No. I always thought it smelt like fish oil!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,142
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Feb 26, 2013 7:28 PM

I got the new sales book from Firemountain gems, and they had several pages on how to transfer photos to Metal frames. Using mod podge and resin.  It sounded really easy to work with.

I think, the suggestion to contact the sell of the items for suggestions on the paint type to use, could save you lots of headaches.

good luck

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS