Jump Rings

This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 7
CrayonJungle wrote
on Feb 22, 2013 9:58 PM

So I am definitely a newbie to all of this. But right now, jump rings make me nervous. I like the idea of adding a charm to my crochet beaded bracelets but it seems like, no matter how tightly I close the jump rings, there is always a small space that easily snags on my embroidery floss. I'm so nervous that the charm is just going to snag and come off, etc. 

Am I missing something? is there something better to use with charms? Or is that just how it goes and you get it as tight as you can and pray it never snags and comes loose? 

Here is an example of one of my bracelets so you can see how it looks. Just in case I'm doing something wrong! 

TIA!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,470
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 22, 2013 10:04 PM

Crayon, take a look at split rings.........they overlap at the closure part, so the thread cannot just slip out. They are much more secure than a jump ring although I use both, just discriminate because of material used. With split rings you need to open them with an awl or heavy tweezers or if you have some money buy a split ring plier once you decide to use them. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 7
CrayonJungle wrote
on Feb 22, 2013 10:09 PM

Thank you, Donna, I will do that. Because these jump rings are driving me crazy and I really feel uncomfortable selling something I worry about coming apart. I just looked them up and that is exactly what I am looking for. I will have to figure out where to get a hold of them. Do you know if they sell them at Hobby Lobby or do I need to go to an actual jewelry supply store? It looks like a split ring plier would definitely be good if I decide to go that route. 

I'm so new to all of this that it feels a bit overwhelming so I'm tackling bits and pieces as they come up. The jump rings. LOL Eventually I will get more of this sorted out. 

Thanks again!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,470
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 22, 2013 10:19 PM

Crayon, ANY bead store should have split rings. The next trick is to buy something of quality, by that I mean if it is silver plated or gold plated it may be over copper and the copper ones can be so wimpy that when you open them.....they never close right. Not good. I buy big bags of assorted sizes and I think the last ones were from Fire Mountain.....which I like because they are just down the road from me and their packages come quick, and generally they will not be selling something that doesn't work. They would be getting complaints by the ton and that is not their way. I opened my split rings for years with an old pair of tweezers, they just need to be open enough to slide the bead on or the thread through, then pull the tweezers out and rotate the ring until the charm or string is fully inside the circle. Works much like your car keyring does. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Feb 23, 2013 9:33 AM

Don't feel to bad, those darn jump rings drive alot of us crazy. On some things, what I finally did was to glue a tiny gold bead to the join in the ring. There are some pieces you won't be able to do that with, I know, but as you advance and start buying less cheap rings, it will get better for you. And I agree with D's comments on the split rings. Sometimes I think they're just better!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
CrayonJungle wrote
on Feb 23, 2013 10:08 AM

Donna - Thank you so much, that was such a huge help! I'm going to Hobby Lobby today and I will look for some. I bet the jump rings I have are silver plated copper. I would almost bet money on it. I am going to look around on Fire Mountain and buy some things from there in the future. They have a huge selection! I love a lot of their charms, too. That's good to know about the tweezers as I imagine they are much cheaper than the pliers for it. Thank you!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
CrayonJungle wrote
on Feb 23, 2013 10:09 AM

Tcwhit - Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one. LOL Oh that's a good idea about gluing a tiny gold bead to the join in the ring. I think I may go with split rings instead, especially since a lot of bracelets I'm making are for kids and I want those charms to stay on!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Feb 25, 2013 9:41 AM

There is a new type of ring. Snapeez. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEt3KQV1cbQ&playnext=1&list=PLA7884A6F0764DA94&feature=results_video

I don't know why its not making that a link...

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS