My Chinese New Years Blessing :)

This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Feb 22, 2013 4:33 AM

The rice ball is called Tuanzi that is a kind of traditional Chinese food made with rice inside as well as outside, which is the main specialty in the central China, my hometown specialty; this kind of food has the connotation of reunion, unity and happiness just as the famous traditional Chinese food rice dumpling. Every time when I go home or leave home mom and other members of my family would always together to make Tuanzi to share our joy of reunion as well as to show the miss for each other. Well, share a picture to show my miss for all of you here after a short leave!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Luv2CUSmile wrote
on Feb 22, 2013 3:39 PM

Caroline,

You should share the recipe/ "how-to" for making these! I would love to try.

I love Ritter Sport chocolate also! LOL Ideas bouncing for making candy rice balls now, LOL.

Seriously would love know the technique for making the rice. Please share!

~Luv

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Feb 23, 2013 9:40 PM

Thanks for sharing this.  Traditions are so important -- especially with family and friends.  Glad you're back.  May you have many such reunions -- just long enough to miss your loved ones, but not too much time between visits.  Again, thanks for sharing.

Ottercat Coffee

02-23-13 (1939 PST)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,827
Valbeads wrote
on Feb 23, 2013 10:53 PM

Have a wonderful Chinese New Year, my dear friend!  Hope you are having fun and I hope you've been having a lovely visit with your family.  Mmmm!  Those tuanzi have me jonesing for dim sum, for some reason.  There's this place not far from where I live that makes terrific dim sum, and they make fried rice with saffron!  I LOOOOOOOOVE saffron!Stick out tongue   Hard to find round here, though, and very pricey but worth it when you can get hold of it.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Mar 2, 2013 2:56 AM

Hi Luv, thought it has nothing to do with the beads, and then wanna put it in the general chat area, as for the recipe, it might be a little difficult to describe due to the limitation of my English level, it looks very simple to make Tuanzi, but it is a little complicated in fact, I just take part in to packaging progress, and asked my mom about the recipe, guess you can have a try if you will, here is the thing:

The inner part and out part are all made with milled rice ( which are milled with small mill and then filtered from fine grains and relatively larger grains), the group of relatively lager grain would be used as stuffing with diced pork and tofu mixed, you can firstly fry the inside stuffing with a pan with flavors you prefer into a done state (by the way, the meet and tofu should be cooked in advance); then here comes the outer part, they are fine grains of rice which should be firstly steamed on a pressure-cooker to about 80% mature without any stuffing mixed in it; then package the stuffing into the outer part, round them, and stems them again. :)  Hope it will not confuse you in some sense! 

The chocolate was gift from one of my best friend who is an international student in Canada right now. 

Hope you have fun with it if you will! Big Smile

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Mar 2, 2013 3:00 AM

Thanks Ottercat, time flies so fast, can't belive that it turns into March! I enjoyed every minute being spend with my family, where they are can always make me felt warm, I hope so to have much reunions not just in the spring festival period! Thanks for your warm words again! Big Smile

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Mar 2, 2013 3:17 AM

Val, I had a wonderful new year by being with all of my family! Do not log in regularly recent days in that I have to take care of my maternal uncle who id now very sick in hospital, sorry to replay so late to have you wait for the reply for such a long time. :) I have always having the thinking that foods can always bring us so much pleasure to get us out of daily trivial, I am sure saffron can bring you a very bright mood as well, when you are not happy, eat saffron to cheer yourself up, but guess it is not that healthy to eat too much Wink!! You see, I can cook by myself right now, I have learned much cooking skills to make meals for myself and other who drop me a visit! after scanning the recent posts here, I would go to make my first ribs soup, perhaps it would be not that yummy, but I''d like to have a try. Wink

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Mar 2, 2013 3:19 AM

Thanks Maxine for taking it something yummy! Big Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,827
Valbeads wrote
on Mar 2, 2013 7:20 AM

Hey, Sweetie!  Glad you had agreat time with your family; really sorry to hear about your uncle.  Will he be all right?  I pray he gets better.  I enjoy cooking with saffron; it gives food a delicate flavor that's rather difficult to describe.  I don't get to cook as much as I used to because of my spine, so I put that energy into my jewelry!Smile 

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Mar 5, 2013 2:51 AM

Thanks for the sweet words, my uncle is having Chemotherapy right now to see if the situation would get better, I would go to the hospital to accompany him every two days after finishing my work, by the way, I just resigned from the company I have been a member for about 9 months, guess I got more time saved for my uncle and my studying! Big Smile

Guess every woman would enjoy to cooking with the food we love! Its great to get it that you love cooking! You see, we found another same interests! Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS