What do you do with unwanted beads?

This post has 42 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,317
on Dec 20, 2008 9:09 PM

I did a little winter cleaning of my bead boxes and now I have a large tin of unwanted beads and I don't have a clue what to do with them.

What do you guys do with your unwanted, leftover, and extra beads?

Christina,

Rainy Pacific Northwest, Home of The Seahawks. 

http://vintagetreasuresjewelry.blogspot.com 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Dec 20, 2008 9:56 PM

You can check with places like the local senior centers the "Y" and places that use Art Therapy or a VA hospital and see if you can donate the beads to them. Beading is a wonderful therapeutic  hobby and can be used to get back dexterity after an injury. If you have the time you may even volunteer to teach how to bead, volunteering of ones time is so rewarding to the person volunteering as well as to those receiveing you services.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 65
Kcrystina2 wrote
on Dec 21, 2008 5:40 AM

I keep my unwanted beads in a container on my shelf with the idea of making some funky necklaces or bracelets with them. For the ones that I KNOW I will never use I put them in my son's bead container of mismatch beads. He uses them to make funky necklaces and bracelets which one of these days I'm going to get online so we can sell them to give proceeds to charity. I try not to get rid of any beads as I never know if they'll be good for something at a later date, even if there is only one of them :)

Regards,

Kcrystina
---------------------

Mixed Media Designer
www.kcrystina.artfire.com

Follow me on:
Twitter: kcrystina
FriendFeed: tinastephen

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Dec 21, 2008 6:44 AM

I so need to go through my beads. I am going to be switching to mostly swarovski so I will need to clean out my bead boxes.

Sue had some great suggestions. If you can't find anyone locally for you, there was a lady that posted on this forum for help finding beads for her work. She worked at a rehab. If you go through the old posts, you will find it and you can always send it to them.

Sometimes even local churches will take donations for the kids crafts. Just another thought! Or you can post the info here and see if someone will trade unwanted beads with you.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Dec 21, 2008 7:01 AM

I hang on to them, just in case, ya know. *laughz*

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
Nimfs wrote
on Dec 21, 2008 8:27 AM

At me unnecessary and superfluous beads are stored in a separate small box in transparent bags.
They - my rescue on holidays. Since at us it is a lot of relatives and mother likes to tell it about my hand-made articles, therefore relatives wait the gifts which have been not bought in shop. And here these "superfluous" beads- it quickly to collect, for example, suspension brackets on phone or suspension brackets for keys - very conveniently:)
And if it is a lot of beads, it is possible to carry them in children's shelters

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Dec 21, 2008 1:49 PM

I find it hard to believe that there is or can be such a thing as an unwanted bead!  Do not let them hear you saying that!  They will cry minute tears of silicon oxide [SiO2], which you will then call DUST!!

I do have some I do not like very much, but I wouid not call them 'unwanted'.  After all, I sold a pair of earrings I made from some of them for more than the whole package of beads cost, so as far as I'm concerned, I'm ahead.

I also learned to look more closely at the beads before purchasing, and to carefully read the labels too.

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Dec 21, 2008 1:49 PM

I find it hard to believe that there is or can be such a thing as an unwanted bead!  Do not let them hear you saying that!  They will cry minute tears of silicon oxide [SiO2], which you will then call DUST!!

I do have some I do not like very much, but I wouid not call them 'unwanted'.  After all, I sold a pair of earrings I made from some of them for more than the whole package of beads cost, so as far as I'm concerned, I'm ahead.

I also learned to look more closely at the beads before purchasing, and to carefully read the labels too.

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Dec 21, 2008 3:23 PM

I agree with Stan ... there is no such thing as unwanted beads ...  there is just beads for diffrent occations...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Dec 21, 2008 7:06 PM

As I've grown through my beading, gained experience, knowledge, etc., my tastes in beads has changed.  But I think we've all gone through the same process.  And, like everyone else, I have a little box of odd and ends or left overs from finished creations, little things that I've never considered that I would use but simply didn't want to part with.  As you said, Billy, just in case.  But after hitting the swapmeet yesterday, and looking at some of the creations other people have available, I'm now looking at that little "island of mis-fits" to put some of them into service. 

I agree with many others who've said that unused beads could be given to either convalescent/hospice homes or senior homes.  If I had any plastic or acrylic beads, I would look into donating those to our local Children's Hospital of Orange County.  I think anywhere the beads/supplies would be donated, those items would be met with gratefulness and enthusiasm.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,090
Editor
on Dec 21, 2008 7:20 PM

Um, yeah, I agree with the previous posters - what the heck is an "unwanted" bead?!  Hahahaa!!! 

Seriously, though, looking for senior centers or community centers or maybe even an after school program or your local school's art program is a great idea.

But me, I figure if I can't use them right now and I give them away, in two days, I'll come up with something that I'll need them for!  Idea

"Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  But today is a gift.  That's why it is called the present." -Kung Fu Panda

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 156
Leigh@18 wrote
on Dec 22, 2008 4:52 AM

Like everyone else I keep my "unwanted beads" in a separate container - Alot of time when I am suffering from a creative block I will open this container up and find inspiration. Making funky bracelets with these beads has worked for me - I find that I can just randomly put these beads together into a piece without suffering from the creative anxiety I feel when creating a piece to sell - the pressure is off - and people seem to really like them. Go figure!

Leigh

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Dec 22, 2008 4:59 AM

As a guy, I find that if I have one or two beads leftover from something else, I can always make a single earring. That one advantage is that the majority of men who wear earrings wear them either in one ear or mismatched in both, ya know. I never have anything that is 'unwanted', but I may have a lot that are 'unused' at the moment.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Dec 22, 2008 5:55 AM

So Billy, as a guy with an earring, do you prefer post earrings? Leverbacks? I never thought of just making one but that is a great idea. Have a little single earring section. I had my ears double pierced but when I took them out for a while the 2nd hole in one ear grew shut. So I have two in one and one in the other. So that idea would work for women like me as well. 

That makes me remember that I did put a small cross charm on a post with a loop for a ten age boy. But I had forgotten...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,237
popnicute wrote
on Dec 22, 2008 9:31 AM

the guys in another forum have something called Pay It Forward. so you offer and send your unwanted items to someone who wants them and that person can also continue on giving out their unwanted items. and so on..

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS