What are charlottes?

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,819
Valbeads wrote
on Feb 15, 2013 8:07 PM

Can anyone tell me what charlottes are, and where I can find some, and are they super wicked expensive?  Also, cand anyone tell me what exactly dichroic glass is and why it's so ding-danged expensive?  Thanks, my peeps!

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,465
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 15, 2013 9:45 PM

Val, Charlottes are slightly sparkly seed beads. I usually see them in 13's and they are in hanks that are about half the length as regular seed beads, even a solid color in a Charlotte will sparkle ..........it is like if you have a hank of them in  your hand about every 6th bead or so will reflect back. I don't happen to own any myself or I'd take a picture of them. I had some in my hand just last night though because my friend just found a sale on them at Michaels when she was there the other day. She uses them along with her 15's to give a bit of a flash.

Dichroic glass is made with a process that deposits metal on the glass, it is then used to make swirls or layers in pendants, or for a finish on beads or sandwiched into fused glass items. It can be pretty or sort of "trailer trashy" flashy. It can be one color reflected or more than that. In handcrafted pendants it can be very attractive, in beads it is generally overpriced (in my (not so) humble opinion). The effect of it is generally to look like an opal............

Hope someone else will jump in and expand my lame-o descriptions. Donna

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 922
on Feb 15, 2013 9:59 PM

Charlottes have one flat chip in the bead, which creates the sparkle. Very cool concept and absolutely gorgeous beads.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,819
Valbeads wrote
on Feb 16, 2013 1:59 AM

Well, your explanation made sense to me!Smile  The dichroic glass sounds nice, but it seems to me to be a big rip-off.  Thanks for the 411, Donna.

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS