brick stitch earrings

This post has 13 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 188
noelohwell wrote
on Feb 11, 2013 10:00 AM

so i found a pattern for fringed earrings and I started them 3 different times.  but they don't lay well.  I think maybe mistakenly, that i needed to make them tight to keep them from curling???  But they look "wavey"...  does that make sense?  can I assume that i am doing them wrong by making them too tight? 

any help would be appreciated!  thanks!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,457
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 11, 2013 1:56 PM

First off, what is not laying right? The base row or subsequent rows? Wavy? which way up and down or along the length? So not enough info here, but some guesses follow.

If we are talking the base (ladder stitch) row, it should be firm enough so the beads sit next to each other, but not so tight that they won't sit flat. With all my ladder rows, I tend to go a bit looser, but then I go back through the whole line through the opposite holes which snugs up the row so no spaces, but also no curling or such. 

If the "wavy" is in the actual brick part of the earrings, something is definitely wrong, brick is normally so very stable, so my guess is too much tension rather than not enough. Too loose will allow the thread to show. If you are using round seed beads a bit of thread will show anyway, but if using cylinders, no thread should show.

It is very hard to answer your query without seeing the problem or without more details. Hope something here will help you but if not write again and we'll go from there. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 188
noelohwell wrote
on Feb 11, 2013 4:14 PM

it's vertically wavy.  and the fringe isn't hanging right.  I don't know.  I will go home this evening and try again but much, much looser.  and I'm thinking only a bugle or two in the fringe.  I will let you know how that works out.

thanks!

Noel

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 145
on Feb 13, 2013 4:25 PM

Are you talking about the fringe not laying shtraight?  If that is it, what are you using to thread the fringe, thread or Fireline?  I am a die hard Fireline user but I NEVER USE FIRELINE ON FRINGE. It will not lay and hang.  .  I use One G o KO thread. I do not like Nymo so I don't use that, but you can use that. Here is a few example of earrings with fringe

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 188
noelohwell wrote
on Feb 13, 2013 4:30 PM

yes, i am trying to use Fireline actually.  I've never tried anything else.  :(

Your earrings are beautiful!  thank you.

Noel

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 145
on Feb 13, 2013 5:03 PM

use Fire line for the actual earring then weave it thru the earring and make the fringe with thread weaving it thru some beads to lock it in then start your fringe at the center fringe, go lo one side and then the other.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,457
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 13, 2013 6:49 PM

Thanks to Philonese Simmons for solving the problem AND showing off some really nice earrings. 

Noel, and if for some crazed reason you decide to use Nymo for the fringe.............stretch it first, then wax it or it will eventually elongate and look like blazes. My first beaded piece with LOTS of LOOOONG fringe was done with Nymo and it was gorgeous, now I can see micro spots where it has stretched a bit. It bugs me but that's because I know it had no tiny gaps to begin with. So go with the One G or the KO threads for your fringe. I don't use either one for my own reasons, but they don't stretch and are perfect for nice soft graceful fringes. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,142
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Feb 13, 2013 8:44 PM

I accidently discovered that Hot water will "Shrink" Nymo thread on Fringe

.(just FYI, never slip a necklace into your shirt pocket because the fringe is catching on ones hair, and then wash same shirt with it in the pocket)Embarrassed

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,457
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 13, 2013 9:31 PM

Gypsy Mary.....................oh. This same piece that I mentioned had a whole block of matte white beads in sort of the center. I was self-teaching myself my first bead stitch, square and let us only say that I took that section apart and redid it several times. So by the time I was done with the whole thing, it looked a tad grubby. This was a kit and all done in Nymo. The fringe is loong and has some hefty beads in it.....and the fringe is all twisted. 

So I gently suds up the purse body to clean those matte white beads and carefully rinsed and put it on a thick towel to dry, patted it down, had a cool fan on it, etc. Everything I knew from cleaning costume jewelry was in place. 

I picked it up ..........and almost just about died, the fringe was VERY untwisted. OK, think about what twists and holds that fringe in a twist, wet that Nymo and it just nearly did me in. The good part is that most of the twist came back after I hand twisted the now attached fringe, but I had visions of having to redo the whole shebang. (I prayed a lot over that fringe).  Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,142
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Feb 13, 2013 9:38 PM

This is absolutely Beautiful. (my fringe wasn't twisted, oh! dear, I would have made "Bead Soup" Smile before doing it over)

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Feb 17, 2013 8:37 PM

I'm so pleased to see this micro shot of the medallions in brick stitch. I thought I'd done something wrong as my strings were all showing. Thank you!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Feb 19, 2013 2:12 AM

Nice post, Noel! Agree with tcwhit, I have something wrong in private in brick stitch as well.   Read every discussion and find out that some long-haunted problems bothering me were solved!

Earring of Philonese Simmons and the peacock item of Donna really impress me very much, they are pretty!!! Big Smile

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 188
noelohwell wrote
on Feb 20, 2013 3:59 PM

keep reading and trying.....CHECK!  now that will be easy!!

Noel

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 188
noelohwell wrote
on Feb 20, 2013 4:05 PM

this is beautiful!  i adore peacocks!

Noel

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS