Update: C-lon from Bello Modo, crochet thread, embroidery floss, others...

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Luv2CUSmile wrote
on Feb 11, 2013 9:48 AM

Hey guys,

Well this is not exactly in the right forum section but it relates to my previous post about C-lon and comparing the sizes and consistency of to other alternate threads/cords...

Well, I got my order! First, Bello Modo is awesome! My first internet order with them or anyone at all besides Amazon in many years... I will have to post on them too but this is about stringing/knotting materials.

I ordered each size of C-lon, all in a few colors other than Tex 135 (just one color)-

I love them all- for different things of course but they are all great for beading and knotting, macrame, crochet and I am sure I can think of other ways to use them, LOL.

The Micro C-lon- I got Caribbean Blue & Oyster- It is similar in thickness to my Guterman 100% Polyester thread & my Coats and Clark Jeans Top-stitching thread-The C&C is definitely more thread like where the Micro has a stiff feel to it... The Micro is supple but firm similar in feel to fireline between your fingers. The Guterman polyester does have a very similar feel between the fingers but is not as smooth in appearance although very close if needed. I can not say to break strength since I haven't tried it or looked it up but the knotting size is similar but yes, the thread is a slightly bit more bulk than the Micro- They both knot beautifully though. With the smoothness of the Micro I didn't know it would keep a knot without "sliding"... It does & I love it! I must order more of this!

The Tex 135- I only ordered one in Capri (a blue color)- I only ordered one since it is listed as .4mm and the regular C-lon is .5mm... I just wanted to see the difference right now to determine if I should go to Tex 135 with less color choice but more yardage per spool or not...  I really do like it as well. There is an ever so slight difference in size between the .4mm and .5mm but they both feel just as smooth and knot great! I don't have anything similar in size to the Tex 135 but I have a few purses that have stitching in the construction (we all do I am sure)- They do vary- I guess depending on brand or style, however, my Buxom bag and Nine West purse stitching is the exact feel, thickness, etc as Tex 135. Interesting as I was searching for items with stitching to compare... Again, knotting is wonderful. Now, I couldn't get it to go through the eye of my sz 12 short needle but I have a few longer sz 12 needles with a slightly longer eye... after some doing I got it threaded onto the sz 12 needle- Tex 135 would pass through a sz 11 Toho and Miyuki fine twice (I didn't try a third pass yet), It passes through a sz 15 Toho and Miyuki once (I didn't try a 2nd pass). I was actually more concerned with breaking my needle than the bead. I will have to get a more flexible longer eye needle and will try again. All in all, the Tex 135 can be used without a needle if you are not stringing an immense about of beads or passing through many beads. If using to weave, a needle is definite (IMO).

The Standard C-lon (.5mm)- (I ordered 2x 8 packs- so, 16 different colors) I have not attempted to thread on a sz 12 needle but it will take a sz 11 Japanese seed bead. I didn't try the sz 15 but it looks like it would be a go as well. Just be cautious of beads dropping from your fingers as you try to string them. The Tex 135 was such a challenge to add to my needle that I have not attempted the standard C-lon. Again, stiff enough to add beads without a needle but again if weaving and passing through multiple beads or tight area, I can't say... I may have to rethink my Cab idea or go with the micro maybe... I may attempt Tex 135 as practice to see how tight I can get through... If anyone else has experience let us know. Just adding small beads as accent should be fine though. Oh! & my sz 10 Crochet thread is about exact size as the standard C-lon, knot size is also about spot on. Of course, standard C-lon doesn't have small fraying of fiber or "fuzzies" that crochet thread gets. Also break strength I am sure would be different. This crochet thread I have currently is mercerized cotton. I wonder if I were able to wax it somehow in the same manner if it would be even more similar... Ehh, no matter, I love the C-lon! Crochet thread is still great for some things but I can see this C-lon being used in crochet as well and with jewelry I believe a definite nicer looking product. Crochet thread if it is a piece you would want to starch maybe. I think I will do a sample in both and compare... I need to figure out how to add pics! LOL

Okay and last but not least- The Tex 400....9mm (I ordered 1x 8 pack- 8 different colors)- looks to be the same size as embroidery floss #5 and about half the size of #18 nylon crochet thread... I like it but am now contemplating what to use it for. Also a firm feel and very smooth, but the "suppleness" seems to be stiffer. I guess as to be expected with a thicker "thread". Again, if I were to "wax" the #5 floss I don't think you could tell a difference. The feel though is definitely more like the nylon thread in smoothness. Will not take a sz 11 japanese seed bead but definitely a sz 8 or 6- also a 4mm crystal will work although a pearl may not unless you ream it.

As a side note... as I was looking around for things, I found some spools of #18 "line" at Lowe's Home Improvement. Quite a few different colors. It is called Mason line and is on an isle that also has other cords of various sizes and colors to include paracord. The paracord is not in a wide range of colors but looks to be a nice price for the amount if you are into that thing right now. The mason line I bought is a nice vibrant yellow and a very bright pink. They appear to be some type of synthetic fiber though and not waxed so the fibers can be loosened. Not as tight a wrap as the actual #18 nylon crochet thread but a nice feel and great color selection! I just grabbed two- again, I was at the comparison and test stage. I will keep these to use in something... Maybe a crocheted purse or embellishment for a hair barrette. Oh! & my daughter wants to make a friendship bracelet (the type that look to be a basic form of macrame knots)... I think it may work nicely for that. Oh! & the brand is Blue Hawk and it is able to be burned to seal just like nylon crochet thread if you like that technique.

I am ecstatic about my choice and now I will be deciding which C-lon I will use most... Probably all except the Tex 400... It is just a bit different than I thought it would be. I have been brain storming and I do have some more ideas but I will need to try them out to see how they work... right now I am thinking mixed wire and Tex 400... something... gotta get my brain in gear. I am also thinking polymer clay or resin with some type technique using the Tex 400. The Tex 400 is not a "delicate work" type material. At least not to look at the spool... This is definitely to use with something that has "stout". I can make it delicate though, LOL. I bet I can.

Thx again to all who helped. I hope to have some pics posted of the differences to show anyone else who is not familiar with this fiber.

~Luv

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 925
on Feb 11, 2013 1:40 PM

Luv2CUSmile:

Okay and last but not least- The Tex 400....9mm (I ordered 1x 8 pack- 8 different colors)- looks to be the same size as embroidery floss #5 and about half the size of #18 nylon crochet thread... I like it but am now contemplating what to use it for. Also a firm feel and very smooth, but the "suppleness" seems to be stiffer. I guess as to be expected with a thicker "thread".nylon crochet thread if you like that technique.

I too bought every C-Lon thread sold, in hopes to work with it, on my loom. The only, the one and only, of them all, I like is to use the "C-Lon Tex 400" as my warps. Either 'every warp' or just a few' to add some color.

Many suggest to use the thinner C-Lon as your 'go to' for warps. I am not fond of that idea, mainly because it is too thin, giving a body to my piece I feel is to 'flimsy'. However, the killer color way and feel fo the Tex 400, makes wonderful warps!!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Feb 11, 2013 8:56 PM

Thanks, Luv2CUSmile for this information.  While I wasn't able to help you in your earlier thread, I do appreciate your report.  Have some of of the same threads (DMC floss, crochet thread, hemp cord, etc.); have to check out Lowe's and Home Depot.  Thanks for sharing; hope you get the pics situation fixed soon (how about it people?).

Ottercat Coffee

02-11-13 (1854 PST)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Luv2CUSmile wrote
on Feb 11, 2013 9:04 PM

Aaah, nice idea! I don't do loom work... YET! LOL It is one avenue in beading I have never got into. Maybe I should look into the looming. I will say, the C-lon is so beautiful in color and I really love the feel of it in my fingers. Tex 400 would also be great for some Macrame pieces that are not "micro" but a bit more hefty or rather to hold more hefty type beads... I have been thinking bracelets, barefoot sandals, anklets, ID tag/glasses lanyards, keychains, and on and on... Like I said I know I will find a use for it. With the weight of the wrap and the diameter it just came in a bit larger than I thought. All others were pretty much what I expected based on pics I saw of work using it. I have been sketching while at work tonight. I just need to choose some beads and get started. Problem- I already had quite a few other sketches done that will be so fabulous with the standard C-lon, Tex 135 and micro!! I usually do one piece at a time, that way my creative flow doesn't become interrupted with ideas carrying over from other pieces... well, I guess I always get more ideas as I work on a piece but when I am focused on one piece I just sketch more ideas rather than changing the make-up of what I am already doing. My mind moves faster than my hands and my mouth moves faster than my mind... Hmm  LOL 

>Ottercat, I do also have some hemp and waxed cotton.. I have to say there is really no comparison at all to C-lon where those are concerned. I guess in firmness on the waxed cotton. I am not sure, hard to describe... I guess because the waxed cotton I got was in the kids section... all I could find locally. I do still like the other fibers for different things but for a nice stable, quality like piece I will definitely go to C-lon. Oh! Well, I do prefer Fireline for weaving but I haven't tried the micro c-lon for that yet. One more thing to do, LOL.

* I didn't realize the picture thing was messed up. I thought I just didn't know how to do it, LOL. Thx- I will keep checking on that.

I remember my mom doing macrame when I was very young and when I was 17 I messed with it a bit. I love seeing the new things so I am looking that route also. But I am sketching... I can't wait to start a new piece!

~Luv

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Feb 12, 2013 5:36 AM

Luv2CUSmile:
* I didn't realize the picture thing was messed up. I thought I just didn't know how to do it, LOL. Thx- I will keep checking on that.
  Sorry , Luv2CUSmile -- I meant that someone should 'show' (tell you how) to do the pictures ('fraid I don't remember and don't do 'links').

Ottercat Coffee

02-12-13 (0334 PST)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Feb 12, 2013 6:21 AM

This was so great of you. Obviously you spent a great deal of time, cash and energy on your research and reporting. That you shared your results I'm certain you've savedmany of us from the same. Thank you

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Luv2CUSmile wrote
on Feb 12, 2013 7:59 AM

Thx Ottercat, LOL - I am sorry I misinterpreted that. Once I can sit for a bit I will figure out posting pics I am sure. I must share, I really am excited about this- lol.

@tcwhit actually you did help with suggestions at looking at other projects done with c-lon... I did a mass hunt and found many that used c-lon as well as tuf cord, superlon, and others... That actually helped a lot too in actually seeing someone's hands work with the different types. Only thing was that- I have not had experience with any of those fibers at all so no first hand knowledge of any one of them but to see them all together and the comparison's I was able to see that I did still want to try C-lon- (I also looked at the amounts per spool and pricing on the others I saw used, C-lon won out!) 

I will be taking @shanks suggestion and looking at upholstery threads also- (will have to google this as to where may be locally available, I am not sure I will internet order any just for the sake of comparison). 

Give me a few days, I was going to just jump in and start my first piece- However... I am the type that sketches, plans, rethinks, begins, and then I start all over again - when using a new material... a NEW piece could actually take me a couple weeks until I am familiar with all materials... I am always trying to one better myself, LOL.

So... I am working up a few samples... will be useful to me as well in deciding which to work with and for what also. But this way I can post and show some differences. Just so happens I have done a macrame twist necklace for my daughter with #10 crochet thread and a knotted bracelet for my son with nuts in a #3 crochet thread. (around here the kids are going crazy for the knotted, wrapped type bracelets, necklaces and such) My daughter started the twist one and got busy with track, FBLA, other clubs and asked if I could finish it, so I did. My entire search on the C-lon stemmed from my seeing some things the kids were wearing and the fact that they were buying these in the mall at PacSun and Hot Topic for $15-$20- and I think they look crappy... As I was helping my daughter find things to make her own I got a brainwave on how to use for another, more sophisticated like look- and the search began for the right fibers...

I am headed back over to look at a post that has been on and off again on Macrame (I think in the Stringing forum)... I saw a couple things there that were great and that is when I started to think of macrame again... along with the fact that in the descriptions for C-lon it was listed as great to use for Macrame... LOL

Anyway, I have a few things to set side by side and hope that it can help if someone is familiar with at least one of the materials it will give them an idea about others they are not so familiar with (like C-lon)

Oh! & I have found that the micro c-lon compares nicely in size and feel to Fireline! I really did get excited about this due to my Fireline 125 yd amount on spool per cost vs C-lon micro @ 320 yds for $5.50-$6.09 each (at the sources I chose you can also get 8 pk for even better per spool price!) Even the 300 yd spool of Fireline runs much more expensive- we all know- I won't completely replace Fireline with C-lon because I love .015 Fireline for my multiple passes through sz 15 beads and the strength I still have with that but for other items I may be a C-lon go-to-gal if it works up nicely with the same finished product feel... 

Okay, the longer I am here the less time to play... Check in laters guys!

~Luv

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS