Flat, round peyote?

This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 517
tcwhit wrote
on Feb 10, 2013 9:55 PM

I'm NOT disassembling anymore 'samples' - they're going in the trash. I've been trying for days to make a round flat peyote stitch circle. I've used quite a few instructions both from here and elsewhere on the net. HELP! I want it about 2". The first few rows work fine, then it just all goes to pookie-land. I've tried seeds and delicas, and i'm settling on tohos since they're closest so far. But I end up ruffly, or warped, or otherwise all wonky. I'm using different colors so I can easily see where I'm supposed to go next.  Any suggestions? Or is this big just something that can't happen?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,539
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 11, 2013 12:48 AM

TC, It can probably be done, but are you aiming for a solid circle or something a bit lacey? Google Dustin Wedekind as I know he published some tips on circular peyote on the net and possibly in a book also. He used to do a stitch tip page for one of the two biggie mags in the U.S., but since I get them both, I couldn't tell you which. Sort of like the reverse of the top of a cab where you decrease as the cab becomes smaller........... 

I've done that sort of thing in brick but since I don't do peyote well at all, I've never tackled it in that stitch. It was tricky in brick too, you had to guess how much to increase and where on each row, it was a slow process as I had to lay it all down each half row to see if I was on track or not......that was to keep it from going ruffled. Tearing brick out is worse than tearing peyote out, I did tear some of my hair out.............

Have you tried using a slightly larger bead after the successful 2" start? That was one of the final successes I had with the brick...........and no the item is no longer in my possession. Donna, just trying to be helpful, but maybe not succeeding.................

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 517
tcwhit wrote
on Feb 11, 2013 7:48 PM

have 1 more set of instructions online i'm going to try, called circular square stitch. Also, as soon as my nook recharges I found a book i'm probably going to download. if I get nowhere after all that, I'm going to give up for awhile. Glad I'm not the only one walking around with a few bald spots after all this

Adding: Not lacy, D. I prefer it as solid as I can get, like for the bottom of a round box.  this "circular square" stitch might be working for me. It's very slow going but I now have a disk about an inch or so in diameter and except for one row it's FLAT. Not going to worry about that row though, as there are only 3 beads kind of bumpy and not a big deal. I do know a few things: #1. You HAVE to use thin thread as so many passes, the fireline is too thick. I'm using the nymo. (Love sono but didn't want to waste it on test) #2. You can't add 2 beads to a single bead on every row, even though all the instructions tell you to. #3. You can't even add 2 beads to every other single bead, you just have to eyeball it the best you can. #4. This uses a boat-load of beads and miles of thread. #5. It's hard to type or bead when you're cross-eyed.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 159
on Feb 14, 2013 12:11 AM

what a waste of good beads! you should keep the bad samples, they might come in handy when you want a pendant necklace thingy ready to go.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 85
Ceffyl1 wrote
on Feb 14, 2013 11:24 AM

Wait, don't despair. Circular peyote can be made as big as you want. A lot has to do with the tension, and also how you make the increases. Suzanne Cooper has a website that explains how.
here:
www.suzannecooper.com/classroom/grad-increase.html

Someone has done a tutorial of Suzanne's instructions on youtube here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh40HD-BfG0

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 85
Ceffyl1 wrote
on Feb 14, 2013 11:27 AM

Don't despair! It's all about tension and how you make the increases.
Suzanne Cooper has a tutorial here:

suzannecooper.com/classroom/grad-increase.html

and someone has done a tutorial of Suzanne's instructions here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh40HD-BfG0

( don't forget www.)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 75
AlexiaFF wrote
on Feb 14, 2013 1:28 PM

There is a tutorial for sale by Suzanne Cooper for really, really round peyote. This will give you a circle. The tutorial is excellent.

Alexia

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 85
Ceffyl1 wrote
on Feb 14, 2013 8:49 PM

I've tried to post a couple of links, but I'm currently being moderated :). I'll try again.

Suzanne Cooper has a free tutorial on her web school.

suzannecooper.com/classroom/grad-increase (don't forget to add www.)

There is also a tutorial on Youtube. Go to You tube and enter this code

v=xh40HD-BfG0

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 517
tcwhit wrote
on Feb 14, 2013 9:23 PM

thanks

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS