Writing a Tutorial: Southpaws, I Need Your Help.

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Feb 8, 2013 4:40 AM

I'm currently writing a tutorial for a bead weaving stitch.  As I am right-handed, I'm not sure how to write a left-handed version (and would like to).  The instructions are mainly illustrations starting with the tail thread at the left and continuing to the right; then back the other way on the next row.  I need to know if I should start with the tail thread at the right then continue to the left.  The bead work has a back and front (no flipping, just side to side).  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Ottercat Coffee

02-08-13 (0238 PST)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 523
on Feb 9, 2013 1:17 AM

Hi Ottercat,

All I can say is that whenever I am following a pattern I tend to work from right to left. So when I make my ladder stitch base for herringbone my tail will usually be on the bottom right. I'm not entirely sure if a tutorial specifically for left handers is absolutely necessary but I'm willing to be a guinea pig if you would like a southpaw to test it. :)

Shellie :)

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Feb 10, 2013 7:40 PM

Thanks for your response, Shellie.  I'll finish the tutorial first, then see if there's a call for a 'southpaw' version.  You may be right (not absolutely necessary).  If I have to use my left hand, I just concentrate on what I'm trying to do and forget which hand I'm using; that's how I learned to write left-handed -- not well, but legible.  Thanks, again.

Ottercat Coffee

02-10-13 (1738 PST)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 567
Beadiecat wrote
on Feb 12, 2013 12:58 PM

Glenda Payseno and Jann Muhlhauser have teamed up to write several patterns for lefties.  You might e-mail one of them and ask if they have any tips for you.

Cat

The Cat's Meow Blog

My RebelMouse page and Etsy shop

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Feb 15, 2013 4:01 AM

Thanks for the info, Cat.  Will check it out soon; let you know if it helps.  Careful with the links; may want to 'de-activate' it (got the address).  Again, thanks.

Ottercat Coffee

02-15-13 (0159 PST)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Feb 18, 2013 5:34 PM

Never mind ("Careful with the links;"); apparently not a problem.

Ottercat Coffee

02-18-13 (1534 PST)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS