Recycling Beads And Findings

This post has 19 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 24
abby_p wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 5:59 AM

Do many of you recycle old/unwanted jewelry into new pieces?

I've found some great bargains to be had in local garage sales. Buying discarded pieces and making them up into new stuff. Several bead stores have closed down too :( But it's a chance to get some great bargains!

Waste not, want not. I was always taught.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,273
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 6:46 AM

Abby,

I have been recycling old finds for years, however most of the time I do just new findings. Sometimes the old ones are just too far gone to be reused. I have changed an orphan earring into a pendent or focal for a bracelet. I was doing this so much that I have had people give me old jewelry from estates or garage sale left overs. Some I use and others I quietly give away to others.

Although I recycle beads, I am fussy about the type of beads I use. Call me a bead snob it's okay, I am one when it comes to some beads.  

I also recycle buttons from my button collection into focals and clasps.here are a couple of examples:

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 24
abby_p wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 7:09 AM

It's not being a bead snob. You just that you like what you like right?

Often I find myself eyeing other people's jewelry at parties and wanting to get out my tweezers and rework them! Maybe it's just me be OCD ...

Never come within arm's reach of me if you are wearing any pieces! Big Smile

Loving the photos of your examples.

Abby x

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,273
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 8:16 AM

Thanks Abby, 

I also forgot to say that the beads in the red and gray are recycled. It was a in a stretchy 5 line bracelet, with spacer bars. The elastic was all stretched out and was just a mess with a couple of broken lines. So this was my remake.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 307
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 1:03 PM

Hi Abby and Sue,

will join in the conversation, bead recycling is one of my favorits, since childhood i can't throw away beads, unless they are so damaged that there is no use at all... even the most ugly plastic bead will find a place at times, for example in a beaded bead, so they have still a practical use and can't see them anyway...it doesn't mean i am a totally chaotic bead hoard, the material still fits in a shelf.

For example i got a ugly box, means there is everything i don't like so much, but sometimes when i search for a bead that could fit a creation or need a size i don't have in my pretty ones, i will have look in the ugly box and find one that turns into a treasure. And then there is the childrens box, so if i do beading with children (at beadfest once or with kids from friends) and don't want to give them all of my favorites, so i have a lot that makes kids eyes sparkle...so i never throw something away...And then there is the box with jewellery i made and don't like anymore, lots to recycle :)).

as well i love to buy old jewellery at flea markets/car boot sales(right word?), there is great things to find for new jewellery to make. special material and eye candy that wouldn't be found in a bead store. like old carmeos and unusually pendants. old brooches that i use for embroidery for example, or simply lots of pretty and funny beads.

Sue: very pretty bracelets and a good idea for claps... i collect pretty buttons too, the older the better :), love antique ones.

Abby, thats funny that you are reworking peoples jewellery in the thougths :), sometimes i do that too, if i see a jewellery the thoughts starting to run, how to do it, or i just see something that would fit in something i do at the time...its like the tinkering-brain never switches off?

Cya

Aunty akoya

May the beads be with you!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,845
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 5:10 PM

Sure do, Abby!  I can't wait till garage sale season kicks off in May.  I love to find all this old, kitschy 60's and 70's style jewelry, pull it apart and create someting completely new and beautifuly different with it.  I've taken a pair of gaudy old clip-on earrings, removed the clips, and made lovely necklace focals out of them.  Just recently, one of my nieces sent me an orphaned earring and I designed a new necklace for her with the old earring as a focal.  It's a great way to save money and utilize your creative skills.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,273
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 1, 2013 8:30 AM

When we say recycle, it usually pertains to strung pieces. We take the piece apart and use the components. Although the piece is outdated and ugly, the beads are good and can be used in another project that is modern and pretty. An orphan earring that is a pretty piece can be used for a pendent on a new piece, hence recycling it instead of throwing it away. In other words, reuse and don't throw out, where things go to a land fill. You could even sell your orphan earrings to someone that also has the an orphan of the same one. Or maybe sell it to a guy that only wheres one earring. But I find recycling green and good for the world. 

Hope this helps you understand the idea of recycling.   

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 24
abby_p wrote
on Feb 1, 2013 11:53 AM

Just popped a recycled beads piccy into the user gallery for grins. Nothing as nice as Sue's though.

Abby x

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,273
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 1, 2013 12:40 PM

Abby, I just returned from a trip to the galleries and I love the necklace you post a picture of. Great job of beading green.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 24
abby_p wrote
on Feb 1, 2013 12:51 PM

Awww thanks. The hardest bit was arranging it around a small bowl, and then taking it away without disturbing the beads for the photo. Could I get that right? No! Several tries later ...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,486
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 1, 2013 1:06 PM

I have old jewelry too, but most of what I have now is too valuable to tear apart. A friend just called me to say she pulled apart a Bogoff necklace for the short extender piece.............. just like tossing a couple of hundred bucks out the window, which she could have used to buy lots of old strung jewels. Anyway, I do however keep buttons and especially belt and cape clasps to use in new jewelry. Right now I don't have any pieces to show off, but using buttons and clasps means no "fatal" mangling of the items. If they turn into something valuable, they can be detached from the new jewelry and sold.

Anyway, Abby and Sue you both did very good on recycling. I love the concept of it all. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,845
Valbeads wrote
on Feb 1, 2013 1:42 PM

Sue,

Awesome explanation!  I don't know about you, but for me I get a lot of satisfaction out of turning something that was once old, ugly and cheap looking into something pretty and new.  It's a fun process because sometimes I'm not even sure myself how it's going to turn out.  I think what I'm going to do from now on is take before and after pictures of these projects, so people can see the difference.

Oh, btw, can you tell me what the heck upcyclying is?  I can't seem to figure it out!Hmm

Val

boutiquev.us

Not Ranked
Posts 24
abby_p wrote
on Feb 2, 2013 10:05 AM

Looking forward to seeing your 'before'and 'after piccys Val. That's an awesome idea.

Abby x

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Feb 3, 2013 6:56 PM

Thanks Abby for your waste not, want not! 

I love the idea! Indeed I did have the experience to make the used jewelry into whole new items. I change one of my mom's broken brooch into a long pendant necklace, it looks awesome! Well, I'd like to insist it as well, thanks for the share! Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 2
bjlewis84 wrote
on Feb 16, 2013 5:15 AM

recycling and changing my jewelry to how i wanted it is what got me into the beading frenzy I have started last few months-- All my friends give me their broken stuff and I have gotten some beautiful beads and clasps and such-- Alot of it was trash but with money tight those extra goodies and what I can buy makes me have some interesting stuff to put to gether--

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS