Hi all--I'm new and have a question about tools

This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
lorahbee wrote
on Jan 29, 2013 9:19 PM

Hello to All,

I'm brand new to beading. So new in fact I don't have any tools...only lots of beads, lol. So I want to make lovely beadstringed rosary bracelets for myself and my friends, but I have no idea which of the entry (budget) tools are cheap and flimsy and which are good and will last a little while until i'm sure I'm going to stick with beading. I see lots of fairly low cost kits, but really only want the absolute basics. Does anyone have any advice? Weblinks or brand names would be great. Thanks so much in advance!

Laura

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,528
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 30, 2013 12:59 AM

Laura, for your first set, I'd buy from one of the larger suppliers and don't buy their cheapest tools. I would think that to do rosary style beading, you might not need more than one or two tools. rounded nose pliers, pair of cutters. If you can hold the items before you buy I would recommend doing so, you will find some do not fit your hand or are hard to use, don't spring back after use, etc. If  you are going to do lots of loops and twisting your hands can get really tired with bad tools.

I used mid quality tools that I gathered as I went along and just a couple of years ago bought a new batch of tools, just what I use and bought Xuron's tools. Beadsmith sells some of them, the others I got through the same bead shop but they were purchased from Xuron. For what I do, I bought side cutters (like for memory wire and tough stuff), micro shears for regular cutting, a regular plier and a tweezer nose plier.  Old tools that I kept were ones I don't use as much, crimp pliers, split ring pliers, flat pliers, and nylon jaw pliers. Hope this helps you out a bit. Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 33
Pearlescence wrote
on Feb 12, 2013 4:31 PM

I'd recommend you make sure you get full sized pliers. some kits cut prices by having really tiny half sized pliers which you will never feel right using.

You'll only need a pair of pointed flat nosed pliers and some snips as basics to start so I'd recommend getting decent ones - even if you don't carry on with beading you'll still use the pliers all the time around the house!

www.Pearlescence.co.uk

www.gemescence.co.uk

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 619
shanks wrote
on Feb 12, 2013 5:13 PM

Welcome!

I see you are thinking about rosary jewelry, and they make special pliers for doing just that. I would suggest doing an Amazon search for Rosary Pliers and you will find quite a few listed from cheap to expensive.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,313
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 12, 2013 7:54 PM

Rosary pliers are fine, but they don't do anythings that the others do, except they are two in one, round nose and cutters. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 619
shanks wrote
on Feb 12, 2013 9:57 PM

She says she wants to make rosary jewelry, would only have to purchase one pair of pliers.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,528
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 13, 2013 12:59 AM

The only other advantage to actual rosary pliers is that you don't have to pick up and put down the two tools. Strictly speaking rosary making is loop, bead, cut, and loop and if you have to put down the tool and pick up the other it could get a bit much.

I made a half dozen bib necklaces years ago using wire only. I formed the two loops and then cut and then wrapped the center section. One tool was grand for doing that. I made those links until I was so entirely sick of them it wasn't funny, but it was for a charitable cause and a bunch of us made gift shop items where the charity got 100% of the money because we all worked with donated material. Maybe that's why I don't work with wire now............ Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 33
Summer152 wrote
on Apr 13, 2013 2:17 AM

You can look some magazines about making bracelets and buy materials on ebay.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 159
on Aug 26, 2013 11:31 AM

Most of my tools are from the hardware shop. Except for the nylon jaws.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 257
beadinstyle wrote
on Aug 26, 2013 8:46 PM

I personally hate the pliers that are gripping and cutting tools in one. It is too awkward to cut where you want to, and the quality of cutting blade doesn't seem to be as good: it is just not worth the frustration. So ... three pairs of pliers: round nose, chain nose and cutters. 

And if you are going to continue making thousands of loops in production mode ... maybe you should consider one of the 1 step loopers?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS